• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployed with 50/50 custody - effect on child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohio_Mommy

I recently became unemployed. My child's father's child support payments were lowered due to the shared custody agreement. However, how long does one have to wait to get child support modified? He feels that since there is 50/50 physical time, he doesn't have to pay child support. However, I don't have any income at the present time (I am a professional and have always maintained a job. So, it's not about trying to get money for myself or being lazy). I know child support if for the child and not for me. However, if there is no money to support the child due to a loss of income, then how is that taken into consideration?

I will post this in the right section.

LdiJ

I recently became unemployed. My child's father's child support payments were lowered due to the shared custody agreement. However, how long does one have to wait to get child support modified? He feels that since there is 50/50 physical time, he doesn't have to pay child support. However, I don't have any income at the present time (I am a professional and have always maintained a job. So, it's not about trying to get money for myself or being lazy). I know child support if for the child and not for me. However, if there is no money to support the child due to a loss of income, then how is that taken into consideration?

I will post this in the right section.
Dad has to continue to pay whatever he was ordered to pay. You will be expected to work as hard as you can to get another job, with comparable pay. If that can be demonstrated as impossible, then you may be able to get a modification in child support, but don't count on that.

Ohio_Mommy

We mediated and there was no child support order through the court. Does that make a difference in modification?

wileybunch

We mediated and there was no child support order through the court. Does that make a difference in modification?
Possibly. When using the state guidelines given your previous income and your ex's income, what would the child support obligation have been for either party?

nextwife

Possibly. When using the state guidelines given your previous income and your ex's income, what would the child support obligation have been for either party?
You'd need to be prepared to document your job search and show that despite all your good efforts, you've been unable to find a job with comparable pay.

Ohio_Mommy

We made about the same amount. He was ordered to pay around 20-21% through me being the primary custodian. I am looking diligently for a job. I don't look at the child support as supplemental income by any means. I look at it as just that: child support. So, I worry about the necessities to take care of our child such as rent payments, food, gas and other critical elements.

CJane

We made about the same amount. He was ordered to pay around 20-21% through me being the primary custodian. I am looking diligently for a job. I don't look at the child support as supplemental income by any means. I look at it as just that: child support. So, I worry about the necessities to take care of our child such as rent payments, food, gas and other critical elements.
Apply for unemployment.

It is my understanding that 1) Child support cannot be mediated in Ohio. 2) Child support is NOT adjusted for custodial periods as it is in some states.

If you do not have a CS order AT ALL, you can apply for the services of CSE and they will establish an order. HOWEVER, it can take MONTHS for that to happen.

CourtClerk

Apply for unemployment.

It is my understanding that 1) Child support cannot be mediated in Ohio. 2) Child support is NOT adjusted for custodial periods as it is in some states.

If you do not have a CS order AT ALL, you can apply for the services of CSE and they will establish an order. HOWEVER, it can take MONTHS for that to happen.
I believe in one of her many other threads on this same issue, there is a zero order because they have comparable incomes and there is a week on/week off schedule for the child. So, if I understand this correctly, this is what mom wants to have happen:

They both have the child for a week at a time. 26 weeks per parent. Dad has to pay for the costs of having the child for a week, including food, rent, electricity and the like, but would also like to have dad pay for some of the cost for the child to be with mom for HER week, although his income at the time of the agreement is just about the same as mom. Not fair to dad if you ask me. It's NOT his fault mom lost her job, and I'm sure that if the tables were turned, she would not be volunteering HER paycheck to supplement his household.

CJane

I believe in one of her many other threads on this same issue, there is a zero order because they have comparable incomes and there is a week on/week off schedule for the child. So, if I understand this correctly, this is what mom wants to have happen:

They both have the child for a week at a time. 26 weeks per parent. Dad has to pay for the costs of having the child for a week, including food, rent, electricity and the like, but would also like to have dad pay for some of the cost for the child to be with mom for HER week, although his income at the time of the agreement is just about the same as mom. Not fair to dad if you ask me. It's NOT his fault mom lost her job, and I'm sure that if the tables were turned, she would not be volunteering HER paycheck to supplement his household.
It's NOT fair.

But I'm 99% certain that if OhioGAL were to post in this thread, she would back up what I'm saying about there not being a consideration for time spent w/either parent. Which means that one parent will most likely be paying support - even in a 50/50 arrangement... and that amount will most likely be no different than it would be in a 60/40 or 80/20 arrangement.

It absolutely sucks. I agree 100%. But no one asked me before they wrote the CS guidelines for Ohio.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">