• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployed Custodial Parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chupas

Does anyone know how long a Custodial Parent collecting child Support can remain unemployed? Are there any laws/rules that say he/she has to get off their ass and stop living off of their non-custodial parents paycheck?:mad:

sorry, venting :)

Antigone*

Does anyone know how long a Custodial Parent collecting child Support can remain unemployed? Are there any laws/rules that say he/she has to get off their ass and stop living off of their non-custodial parents paycheck?:mad:

sorry, venting :)
Yes, I know...

...however dang long it takes:D

venting back atcha:cool:

Chupas

Does the fact that they are not working taken into consideration when payment amounts are selected?

Proserpina

Does the fact that they are not working taken into consideration when payment amounts are selected?
Did you request that the CP be imputed an income when you went to court for CS?

And please tell us where you are - which US state. It's important.

haiku

child support amounts are based on a percentage of income. And it all depends on your states formula as to how much a CP's income may count or not count. In some states a CP's income does not come into play AT ALL. And again even in states where it does, the percentage is so low it has little effect on what the NCP is required to pay.

Its kind of a pointless thing to get in a twist about, for those reasons.

ProSeDadinMD

...In some states a CP's income does not come into play AT ALL. And again even in states where it does, the percentage is so low it has little effect on what the NCP is required to pay.
The bolded is not always the case. In MD, it is a HUGE factor in CS calculations.

Telling the OP "Its kind of a pointless thing to get in a twist about, for those reasons" before we know what state they are talking about is kinda jumping the gun, don't ya think:rolleyes:?

Just sayin'...

haiku

The bolded is not always the case. In MD, it is a HUGE factor in CS calculations.

Telling the OP "Its kind of a pointless thing to get in a twist about, for those reasons" before we know what state they are talking about is kinda jumping the gun, don't ya think:rolleyes:?

Just sayin'...
Fine and dandy. If the OP wants more specific info as to whether or not its something worth getting bent about thwey can mention the state and whether or not they share any sort of phyisical custody. Until then it could very well be, pointless ;)

haiku

Oh and if it is a combined income state, sending mom to work could UP your child support amount not lower it....

nextwife

All these non working (esp non married) CPs are going to be woefully shy of meeting their retirement needs when the time comes. Guess they expect society (or their kids?) or someone else to support them in their old age. Boy, will they be in trouble when their kids age out of CS.

CJane

I want someone to pay me enough child support to live off of so I can sit on MY azz all day long. Fo' Sho'.

haiku

I want someone to pay me enough child support to live off of so I can sit on MY azz all day long. Fo' Sho'.
ya shoulda married my husband, cuz his ex sits on her butt. I do think though, that sitting on your butt, and drinking and carousing can be fun, not having money to register your car, or pay your light bill on time, because you have decided you don't need to have a job, if you get just enough support, is not exactly utilizing that situation to your best advantage. ;)

ya shoulda married my husband, cuz his ex sits on her butt. I do think though, that sitting on your butt, and drinking and carousing can be fun, not having money to register your car, or pay your light bill on time, because you have decided you don't need to have a job, if you get just enough support, is not exactly utilizing that situation to your best advantage. ;)
Wow we could be twins! My husband's ex just bought a $100 valor jumpsit and has no problem telling everyone it was bought with the child support money. She then calls my mil asking that my husband send double what was ordered because she just got an iPhone and is having trouble paying the bill. Oh, and if he could, kiddo needs new clothes too. She lives with her parents and last I heard, were forcing her to get a job to help pay for the household expenses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">