• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployed and remarrying soon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rear_Fender

What is the name of your state? Utah

I have a child from a previous marriage that lives with the other parent and I am ordered to pay support. I am currently unemployed. My fiancee and I want to know if there is anything we can do to protect his income. Can my child's other parent get support from my future husband after we marry?

Neal1421

Rear_Fender said:

I have a child from a previous marriage that lives with the other parent and I am ordered to pay support. I am currently unemployed. My fiancee and I want to know if there is anything we can do to protect his income. Can my child's other parent get support from my future husband after we marry?
Are you current with your support?

If he marries you , tell him to keep his accounts separate from yours because if you get behind in payments and there is a judgmenet for arrears they can garnish your bank account.

bononos

Rear_Fender said:

You could also get a job!

nextwife

You will need to start looking for a job, however, as continued non-compliance could result in jail, suspension of drivers license, etc. How long do you plan to stay "unemployed". REmarrying is NOT a legal reason for a modification downward of CS.

ceara19

You still have to pay the support whether or not you decide to work. Even though your new husband is not LEGALLY required to pay YOUR cs obligation, he might want to consider helping you out until you find a job. That is, unless he is looking forward to visiting his new wife in the county lock up. I'm pretty sure most places have done away with congical visits though. ;)

Rear_Fender

I am not current on my payments and will be starting work in May. So all my fiancee and I need to do is keep our accounts seperate?

ceara19

Rear_Fender said:
I am not current on my payments and will be starting work in May. So all my fiancee and I need to do is keep our accounts seperate?
That will keep any of HIS assets from being seized to pay the CS debt. It won't keep the state from taking other actions against you though.

Neal1421

Rear_Fender said:
That is all your fiance needs to do but YOU need to pay your child support.

Zephyr

also all property- of any sort, retirement accounts, real estate, stocks bonds, cars, should be seperate**************.

why can you not work before may?

fairisfair

Rear_Fender said:

your child's OTHER parent??? if you aren't paying child support, right now, that is your child's ONLY parent.

Can't work until MAY? Oh, that's right, wedding plans and all****************************:(

ATM Logic

fairisfair said:
your child's OTHER parent??? if you aren't paying child support, right now, that is your child's ONLY parent.
...and the parent who contributes more CASH is also the BETTER parent. My mother was unemployed for 18 years -- stinkin' deadbeat! :rolleyes:

OP:
You might want to consider borrowing enough money (family, loan, CC) to cover your support payment temporarily. There are numerous options available to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">