• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment and CS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

papaof2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was unemployed for 7 months and accrued arrears over that time at the same support order rate. Does the court typically lower the rate for the unemployment time? It seems unfair the 7 months I had no income including unemployment insurance and they still charge the full order? There's gotta be some sort of help in this area. It's going to take years to catch up for that 7 months since now I have an even lower income.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was unemployed for 7 months and accrued arrears over that time at the same support order rate. Does the court typically lower the rate for the unemployment time? It seems unfair the 7 months I had no income including unemployment insurance and they still charge the full order? There's gotta be some sort of help in this area. It's going to take years to catch up for that 7 months since now I have an even lower income.
Have you filed for a modification yet based on your reduced income?

papaof2

I asked for the paperwork to modify support but I don't think there is anything to modify because based on the CA online calculator my support of 500/month at my 9.25/hr income is about on par. i'm charged an extra 183 per month because of arrears. One whole paycheck. Unemployment set me back a lot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">