• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uniform Transfer to Minors Act

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I believe my nephews condition was brought on by the lack of proper educational toys when he was about 3 or 4 years old. The kind of toys he got were the entertainment type and not building blocks with numbers or letters on them or any other educational toy. Right now, his only interest is sports and playing computer games on his cell phone.
So - where were you when he was 3 or 4?

And come to it - where are his parents?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ladyback1

In what world would you be entitled to the child's educational records? Are you his guardian/parent? No, I didn't think so.

And the child's alleged poor grades/learning disability is from lack of "educational" toys when he was 3-4? Oh for the love of all that is holy! You don't really understand learning difficulties/disabilities AT ALL do you?

You seem to be practicing a scorched Earth policy: Since Grandma won't kowtow to your demands, you will "punish" her. And in punishing her, you are punishing a child that probably has no clue as to what is going on. Geez...you are a real gem of a person. Gem, I tell you!

So - where were you when he was 3 or 4?

And come to it - where are his parents?
Like I mentioned; I did not have much contact with my nephew or neices. I did not even know he and the neices existed. You want to know where I was? I was going about my business. My nephew has many uncles and aunts and I was the only one who step in and started to take them out to Parks. Then I soon started the UMTA when the bank recommended it. I guess one cannot trust banks.
I want his account to go to help him in learning a trade. Knowing how to drive a nail into wood does not make a tradesman. To be a tradesman, requires good math abilities along with experience. My nephew does not read the newspaper or books. His only interests are computer games and sports. The father and grandfather are dead from drug abuse. The mother had multiple children and her most recent boyfriend did not want to take care of my nephew. This is when the grandmom became his guardian.
The law allows me to remove funds from his account as long as it is for the benefit of him. That is what I plan to do before he is eligible to receive the funds on his own. If He does not attend trade school or flunks out, then he might get the prorated differance in whatever funds that the trade school deems fair.

Ladyback1

Like I mentioned; I did not have much contact with my nephew or neices. I did not even know he and the neices existed. You want to know where I was? I was going about my business. My nephew has many uncles and aunts and I was the only one who step in and started to take them out to Parks. Then I soon started the UMTA when the bank recommended it. I guess one cannot trust banks.
I want his account to go to help him in learning a trade. Knowing how to drive a nail into wood does not make a tradesman. To be a tradesman, requires good math abilities along with experience. My nephew does not read the newspaper or books. His only interests are computer games and sports. The father and grandfather are dead from drug abuse. The mother had multiple children and her most recent boyfriend did not want to take care of my nephew. This is when the grandmom became his guardian.
The law allows me to remove funds from his account as long as it is for the benefit of him. That is what I plan to do before he is eligible to receive the funds on his own. If He does not attend trade school or flunks out, then he might get the prorated differance in whatever funds that the trade school deems fair.
you want to CONTROL this child and his choices as he ages. You want to get your knickers in a knot because Grandma doesn't say "how high" when you scream "JUMP".
as to the bolded: Ummmm....HELLO? He's 14! Sports, computer/video gaming and "girls" (or to be blunt: SEX) encompasses a HUGE amount of a 14 y/o's brain. Not only do you not understand learning difficulties/disabilities ( *snort* not enough educational toys:rolleyes:), you are completely out of touch with 14 y/o in general and very much out of touch with this specific child.

Perhaps, if your interest had been more than taking them to parks---and trying to controlling the money you set aside FOR the children--the kiddo would aspire to attend more than "trade school". If everyone's expectation is that the child won't amount to much? Then that is the level to which he will rise, and probably not rise much farther.
I really hope that you didn't attempt to control your own children like this (assuming you have children). Do your children even speak to you these days??

I'mTheFather

OP may be a troll, or he may be an elderly person who grew up during a time when the average person knew nothing about learning disabilities. The elderly people in my family know little of LD. I would never consider calling them names because of that. If you want someone to learn something new, offending them is a crappy way to do it.

So, OP was under the illusion that he can do something to better the child's future if he was able to access school records. He doesn't want the money he intended for education to be spent on toys. He didn't check the conditions of the UTMA accounts. Yes, he was ignorant of these things. I appreciate those of you who clarified for him without the hostility.

Lost in all this are his actions of helping to support the kids through the years and setting up college funds for them. My goodness! What a horrible person!

Wrong!
I am still contributing to my neices accounts; one of which will be graduating this year. This problem with my nephew is that he does not try to help himself, nor does his grandmother help him enough with extra tudoring. She should be buying him text books instead of toys with the monthly check I been sending her. He has the ability to learn but if its not fun, he loses interest.
He had to repeat one year of grade school because she decided to take him on vacation instead of making him attend summer school as mandated by the school authorities. These are some of the things I am just finding out and there are others which were hidden from me.
I am being realistic in my actions. I do not want my contributions going to waste. Kids today got it easy. My generation was born prior to World War 2 and the country was coming out of the depression. There was no middle class and most people did not own a car. Jobs were scarce. During my childhood, I learned what it was like to be practically poor. But World War 2 changed all that.
I do not have a problem with the disabled. Most have learned to help themselves by perseverence. This is the differance between my nephew and me.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My generation was born prior to World War 2 and the country was coming out of the depression.
Uummm.... I have to call OP out on this. My parents were born prior to WWII, and they are in their 80s. So I'd love to know how old Grammy is.

And my thinking he's a jerk has next to nothing to do with his thinking regarding learning disabilirties and significantly more to do with the fact that, after adnitting he has not had any significant involvement with any of these kids, he feels he has any say-so in how they are raised. By the only person who did step in to do so.

Frankly, if my brother tried to pull this sort of stunt with my kids (in my abnsence or not)? I'd tell him where to get off - with a foot to his hiney. He's another one who thinks he gets a say what "his" neice/nephew do when he's had no real involvement to now.

Pinkie39

7]Also. Repeating a year of elementary school is not indicative of disability or future educational success. Frankly, being a straight A student is not indicative of success in college.[/QUOTE]

Very true. I have a nephew who was held back a year in elementary school, for various reasons, including a learning disability.. He's 19 now, and will be graduating from high school in June. He's also planning to attend a community college after high school, in a trades related field, then join the military.

His dad was a mediocre student in school, but is now a successful small business owner/tradesman, earning a six figure salary. He graduated from a community college, and also served in the military.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My undergraduate training was as an elementary/middle school teacher, and all I have to say is, OP, you are wrong, and the others responding her are right. You absolutely cannot make a clear determination of the boy's college aptitude based on the factors you are using - not at the age of 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">