• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unique Situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nky6

So my ex-girlfriend from 5 years ago contacts me saying she wants me to take a paternity test to see if I'm the father of her daughter. She claims her husband has already adopted her and she just wants me to sign over my rights if I am the father. So I have a few questions... (I live in UTAH if that is necessary).

1- If I am the father do I have to pay back child support if she is adopted by her husband?

2- What rights do I have, can I nullify the adoption if I want?

3- How could her husband adopt her if she doesn't know who the biological father is?

Thank you guys so much for the help!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Proserpina

So my ex-girlfriend from 5 years ago contacts me saying she wants me to take a paternity test to see if I'm the father of her daughter. She claims her husband has already adopted her and she just wants me to sign over my rights if I am the father. So I have a few questions... (I live in UTAH if that is necessary).

1- If I am the father do I have to pay back child support if she is adopted by her husband?

2- What rights do I have, can I nullify the adoption if I want?

3- How could her husband adopt her if she doesn't know who the biological father is?

Thank you guys so much for the help!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Someone somewhere isn't telling the truth.

If her husband adopted the child, she would have no reason to ask you to sign over anything - because legally HE is the father, and you legally wouldn't have a child and would have no rights, period.

I suggest you stop contact and let her file something in court.

If you're ever served with something, come back and update this thread. :cool:

nky6

She claims its to tell her daughter in the future so if she wants to have some sort of relationship with me, she will be able to do so. And lets pretend she is telling the truth. And thank you for your quick reply!

LdiJ

She claims its to tell her daughter in the future so if she wants to have some sort of relationship with me, she will be able to do so. And lets pretend she is telling the truth. And thank you for your quick reply!
Honestly, I agree with the previous response. There are all kinds of things wrong with your ex's story.

If her husband really adopted the child, there is nothing to sign over. Her husband is the child's legal father and there is nothing that you could do about it...or at least nothing that could be done without a huge and enormously expensive legal battle...that you would have little chance of winning.

There is a chance that she wants to be able to eventually tell the child who her biological father is, but I doubt that is the case.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I agree with the others - something is off about this situation.

And lets pretend she is telling the truth.
Or.... let's not. We don't "play pretend" here. I think most of us left that back in elementary school. :rolleyes:

nextwife

If mom cared about her kiddo potentially having a relationship with you, you should have been given an opportunity to be dad to the child from the get go. I agree: cease communication. Mom clearly doesn't care about you having any co-parenting right or relationsip to what may have been your child.

Maybe you don't want to know if you are the DNA provider, if she's chosen to deny you any right to co parent the child, and chosen to not inform you in time to experience infancy and toddlerhood of what may have been your child..

Last edited:

Proserpina

I shook the magic 8-ball, and this is what it said:

"Dude, she's allowing her husband to play Daddy and be called Daddy but I bet my last dollar that there has been no adoption. You're about to get hit up for child support".

(It's a wordy 8-ball)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">