• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

United States Child Support Modification (Child who lives in the Philippines)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwives

Washington
Need a child support modification for a child who lives outside the United States. A divorce decree was granted in 2006, a U.S navy who is a resident of Washington State, United States and a woman who lives in the Philippines. The woman has the custody of the child in the Philippines. The woman and the child never live in the United States. They are Filipino Citizens. The support is $580 and that is too much money for a 9 years old kid. The amount of support is based in Nevada. We would like a modification of support based on the amount of money to support a kid in the Philippines.
The divorce decree order was issued in Nevada. Both the mother and the child lives in the Philippines. The father lives here in Washington State. The father is a military. He was stationed before in Nevada and got orders here in Washington, that is why he lives here now. Right this moment, the Father is on deployment and will be back on March next year. For the meantime while waiting for him to get back, we'll still search for a lawyer who can help us regarding this situation.
The Father was the only one living in Nevada before and after the divorce decree was filed. The mother and the child is not a resident of any states here in the United States. They never live in the United States. They are filipino citizens. The divorce decree was default. The mother was served in the Philippines. Let me know if you can help me or anyone can help my husband here in Washington. It is just that we really need that modification because $580 is a lot of money in the Philippines. We don't want the mother be partying all day and night because of the money. The money is really too much for a 9 years old kid in the Philippines.

Last edited:

Silverplum

Washington
Need a child support modification for a child who lives outside the United States. A divorce decree was granted in 2006, a navy and a woman who lives in the Philippines. The woman has the custody of the child in the Philippines. The woman and the child never live in the United States. They are Filipino Citizens. The support is $580 and that is too much money for a 9 years old kid. The amount of support is based in Nevada. We would like a modification of support based on the amount of money to support a kid in the Philippines.
The divorce decree order was issued in Nevada. Both the mother and the child lives in the Philippines. The father lives here in Washington State. The father is a military. He was stationed before in Nevada and got orders here in Washington, that is why he lives here now. Right this moment, the Father is on deployment and will be back on March next year. For the meantime while waiting for him to get back, we'll still search for a lawyer who can help us regarding this situation.
The Father was the only one living in Nevada before and after the divorce decree was filed. The mother and the child is not a resident of any states here in the United States. They never live in the United States. They are filipino citizens. The divorce decree was default. The mother was served in the Philippines. Let me know if you can help me or anyone can help my husband here in Washington. It is just that we really need that modification because $580 is a lot of money in the Philippines. We don't want the mother be partying all day and night because of the money. The money is really too much for a 9 years old kid in the Philippines.
Sure.

You can hire an attorney for your husband to do a modification of the child support.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Honestly? "We" can do nothing. Your husband or his lawyer need to take action.

HOWEVER... Support is going to be based on HIS income, not the4 cost of living in the Philippines.

mistoffolees

Washington
Need a child support modification for a child who lives outside the United States. A divorce decree was granted in 2006, a U.S navy who is a resident of Washington State, United States and a woman who lives in the Philippines. The woman has the custody of the child in the Philippines. The woman and the child never live in the United States. They are Filipino Citizens. The support is $580 and that is too much money for a 9 years old kid. The amount of support is based in Nevada. We would like a modification of support based on the amount of money to support a kid in the Philippines.
As you were told, it's none of your business.

In addition, child support is NOT based on what it costs for a child to live somewhere (and especially not what a meddling stepparent THINKS it costs). It is based on the laws of the state.

However, something is strange here. Why would your husband agree to Nevada having jurisdiction if the child never lived in Nevada? Have your husband sign up here and ask his own questions.

nwives

In addition, child support is NOT based on what it costs for a child to live somewhere (and especially not what a meddling stepparent THINKS it costs). It is based on the laws of the state.

However, something is strange here. Why would your husband agree to Nevada having jurisdiction if the child never lived in Nevada? Have your husband sign up here and ask his own questions.
He didn't know anything about laws. All he wanted is get a divorce. He don;t know anything about the jurisdictions on child support. But he stated that the child lived in the Philippines on the divorce decree. I don't know, maybe the court didn't read the petition. On the divorce decree, it is stated that the child is in the Philippines.

Do you think we can have the court re-read the court order again?

LdiJ

He didn't know anything about laws. All he wanted is get a divorce. He don;t know anything about the jurisdictions on child support. But he stated that the child lived in the Philippines on the divorce decree. I don't know, maybe the court didn't read the petition. On the divorce decree, it is stated that the child is in the Philippines.

Do you think we can have the court re-read the court order again?
He needed Nevada to have jurisdiction because its not possible to get a divorce at all in the Phillipines. The Filipino government will recognize a foreign divorce obtained against the will of their citizen, but otherwise, you cannot get divorced there.

I cannot see him getting a reduction in child support just because the child lives abroad.

nwives

My husband is on deployment. As soon as he gets back, I'll have him sign up here. Me and my husband wanted more advice on the case. I am searching and finding an answer so that when he gets back, he is ready to file a case here in Washington. I am sorry but right this moment my husband couldn't do anything or ask help from anyone because he's aboard the ship. I am his wife and the only person whom can help him at this moment. I hope that someone can help us. We just need an advice. We know that we need to hire an attorney, but we need an advice and answer from someone here who knows exactly and experienced a case like this. Thank you very much for the reply. :(

ecmst12

I would suggest you leave things as they are. If he files for modification, there's a very good chance support could be INCREASED, if his income has increased since the order was issued. Support is based on income, not cost of living or cost to raise the child.

Beyond that, I would suggest you stay out of it.

LdiJ

My husband is on deployment. As soon as he gets back, I'll have him sign up here. Me and my husband wanted more advice on the case. I am searching and finding an answer so that when he gets back, he is ready to file a case here in Washington. I am sorry but right this moment my husband couldn't do anything or ask help from anyone because he's aboard the ship. I am his wife and the only person whom can help him at this moment. I hope that someone can help us. We just need an advice. We know that we need to hire an attorney, but we need an advice and answer from someone here who knows exactly and experienced a case like this. Thank you very much for the reply. :(
I don't think that you are going to find anyone here who has experienced a case like that, and I have certainly never seen someone get their child support lowered based on the argument that the child lives in another country and doesn't need that much money.

Anybody else seen it happen?

nwives

I don't think that you are going to find anyone here who has experienced a case like that, and I have certainly never seen someone get their child support lowered based on the argument that the child lives in another country and doesn't need that much money.

Anybody else seen it happen?
Maybe my husband can just have the court re-read the divorce order because the State of Nevada doesn't have jurisdiction over the child. I think this is the best thing I can do for the moment. Thank you so much for the reply.

LdiJ

Maybe my husband can just have the court re-read the divorce order because the State of Nevada doesn't have jurisdiction over the child. I think this is the best thing I can do for the moment. Thank you so much for the reply.
Hon, it does NOT work that way.

mistoffolees

It's too late for him to assert that NV doesn't have jurisdiction. By filing there and requesting that the court award custody and child support, he relinquished any argument against jurisdiction.

He really should have had an attorney if he doesn't understand what he was doing.

Silverplum

He can hire an attorney, because everything you've written is not a good idea.

The State of NV DOES have jurisdiction over him, his divorce, his CS, and the child.

The Court is NOT going to "re-read the divorce order" for any reason. They might agree to modify, or look at a modification, if he properly files for one.

mistoffolees

He can hire an attorney, because everything you've written is not a good idea.

The State of NV DOES have jurisdiction over him, his divorce, his CS, and the child.
It does now. However, the child and mother never lived in NV, so if he hadn't messed it up, it might not have.

I haven't checked in NV, but in many states, you can obtain the divorce and set the custody and child support issues aside. Then Mom could have filed for custody in child support in whatever state she lived in if she was a U.S. resident. If not, she'd have to file for CS and/or custody in the Phillipines after Dad got the divorce in NV.

In any event, it's too late for any of that. He's stuck paying whatever NV tells him to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">