• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unmarried girl getting aid.... or welfare?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StarsMoon

What is the name of your state? This in Tenn.

I know of a couple in Tenn.. They are not married. One is 25 and the girl is 19. She was telling me that they didn't want to get married yet until the baby is born. Due to her getting the benefits. Baby due in July. Anyways, she was telling me that she gets medicaid, Wic, and food stamps. She's told the health depart. that she lives at home with her parents, when in all truth she and the guy live together. She works a full time job but doesn't have any insurance.

My question is..... when the baby is born and they couple enters the daddy's information on BC , will the St of Tenn go after the daddy for repayment of the food stamp money? Or when she has the baby, and she quits receiving the food stamp money, is the daddy in the clear? Is daddy in the clear since the welfare is for her and the unborn child? But once baby is born, is that when the St. comes after the daddy?

I don't understand how that'll work. :confused: :confused: From what I gather it looks like they are just using the system and if their not careful, it's gonna come back to haunt the bio-father...
If anyone could give me some insight, I'd really appreciate it....:) :p

Thanx to all,
Stars.....

I believe any time you receive Food Stamps that it is required to name the baby's father.... & they WILL go after them to repay any assistance that she & the baby received. I'm not sure about the WIC & Medicaid. I knew someone many years ago that applied for all & was only told that information when they applied for the Food Stamps. And, although in this situation they weren't living together at the time, they were going to be at the time of the baby's birth.... so they elected not to file for the food stamps... but still received the other aid. And, I don't believe they had to repay any of it. This was many years ago & this may have changed... and the laws may also differ from state to state. Sucks I know... but that's our tax dollars at work.

NotSoNew

this is a good question, i know that my husbands ex got (and probably still gets) WIC and medicad, i dont think she ever got food stamps. he is on BC obviously and they never came after him for any money.

Neal1421

StarsMoon said:
What is the name of your state? This in Tenn.

I know of a couple in Tenn.. They are not married. One is 25 and the girl is 19. She was telling me that they didn't want to get married yet until the baby is born. Due to her getting the benefits. Baby due in July. Anyways, she was telling me that she gets medicaid, Wic, and food stamps. She's told the health depart. that she lives at home with her parents, when in all truth she and the guy live together. She works a full time job but doesn't have any insurance.

My question is..... when the baby is born and they couple enters the daddy's information on BC , will the St of Tenn go after the daddy for repayment of the food stamp money? Or when she has the baby, and she quits receiving the food stamp money, is the daddy in the clear? Is daddy in the clear since the welfare is for her and the unborn child? But once baby is born, is that when the St. comes after the daddy?

I don't understand how that'll work. :confused: :confused: From what I gather it looks like they are just using the system and if their not careful, it's gonna come back to haunt the bio-father...
If anyone could give me some insight, I'd really appreciate it....:) :p

Thanx to all,
Stars.....
He is not obligated to support her, only the child. So, any benefits that she is receiving now may not have to be repaid by him. If she continues to receive aid after the child is born then yes he may have to repay that, however he doesn't have to repay the state for benefits that she receives for herself.

fairisfair

Claire's mom said:
I believe any time you receive Food Stamps that it is required to name the baby's father.... & they WILL go after them to repay any assistance that she & the baby received. I'm not sure about the WIC & Medicaid. I knew someone many years ago that applied for all & was only told that information when they applied for the Food Stamps. And, although in this situation they weren't living together at the time, they were going to be at the time of the baby's birth.... so they elected not to file for the food stamps... but still received the other aid. And, I don't believe they had to repay any of it. This was many years ago & this may have changed... and the laws may also differ from state to state. Sucks I know... but that's our tax dollars at work.
Generally, only cash assistance or medical aid require compliance with Child Support enforcement, not food stamps. But yes, for those items, they can and will pursue the father, up to and including the cost of the birth.

I know for a FACT that Medicaid was used for whole pregnancy & delivery & no $$$ was ever repaid for that. Also, the child was automatically eligible for Medicaid til it's first b-day... regardless of ANY change in circumstances & no $ was ever taken from Bio Dad. That was in SC, but isn't Medicaid a Federal program?

fairisfair

There is some thing not right about the OP's information though. No way is she getting all those benefits, living with Mom and Dad and having a full time job. Not unless, she pays rent to live there and has a really crappy job.

I know a lady who was recieving food stamps, by fraud, and that is what they are doing. She was caught and had to repay every dollar in foodstamps.

The father will not be held liable but the mother would, he is not legally responsiable for her commiting the fraud, even if he was benefitting from the fraud.

fairisfair

Claire's mom said:
I know for a FACT that Medicaid was used for whole pregnancy & delivery & no $$$ was ever repaid for that. Also, the child was automatically eligible for Medicaid til it's first b-day... regardless of ANY change in circumstances & no $ was ever taken from Bio Dad. That was in SC, but isn't Medicaid a Federal program?
States are required to follow the same requirements as a parent as far as collecting on their fees, it is possible that they were not able to collect due to that states limitations on time, or maybe they found that the parents would have been eligible based on their income, even if daddy had been included in the case. There are many reasons why this person might not have had to pay. States have their own programs, yes Medicaid is federal. Yes, if a child is found eligible at birth, it will be eligible for the 1st year regardless of changes.

fairisfair

indian spirit said:
I know a lady who was recieving food stamps, by fraud, and that is what they are doing. She was caught and had to repay every dollar in foodstamps.

The father will not be held liable but the mother would, he is not legally responsiable for her commiting the fraud, even if he was benefitting from the fraud.
You are right, mom will be held responsible for the fraud, but dad will be paying too if she continues receiving benefits, she will be forced to comply with Child support enforcement, give up the info on dad, and they will pursue him, or she will lose her benefits.

MrsK

Why dont you report these people for welfare fraud?

The state DSS site should have a link, that you can click and it will allow you to inform them on welfare fraud & they are supposed to investigate it.

Like they say...welfare fraid is EVERYONE's business.

weenor

fairisfair said:
States are required to follow the same requirements as a parent as far as collecting on their fees, it is possible that they were not able to collect due to that states limitations on time, or maybe they found that the parents would have been eligible based on their income, even if daddy had been included in the case. There are many reasons why this person might not have had to pay. States have their own programs, yes Medicaid is federal. Yes, if a child is found eligible at birth, it will be eligible for the 1st year regardless of changes.

Medicare is federal funded and administered by SSA. Although I do not know the break down of funding for Medicaid, it is administered by the individual states in accordance with state statutes.

OP- on most Medicaid applications there are questions about whether the applicant is receiving child support from the father and if so, how much. The other big question is whether the applicant and child are living with the father so that his income can be considered too. If they would not qualify because together they make too much, then she has left his existence off of the application and she is committing fraud.

fairisfair

weenor said:
Medicare is federal funded and administered by SSA. Although I do not know the break down of funding for Medicaid, it is administered by the individual states in accordance with state statutes.

OP- on most Medicaid applications there are questions about whether the applicant is receiving child support from the father and if so, how much. The other big question is whether the applicant and child are living with the father so that his income can be considered too. If they would not qualify because together they make too much, then she has left his existence off of the application and she is committing fraud.
Yes, in this case, she is definitely committing fraud. and you are correct about all the rest of this too, I don't know why you used my post as a quote though as it was in response to another posters observation? do you just like me?:D

fairisfair

MrsK said:
Why dont you report these people for welfare fraud?

The state DSS site should have a link, that you can click and it will allow you to inform them on welfare fraud & they are supposed to investigate it.

Like they say...welfare fraid is EVERYONE's business.
I never thought I would say THIS :eek: you are totally right, welfare fraud is EVERYBODY'S
business, it is people like this that make everyone despise welfare recipients. Also, in this case, Mom and Dad are probably in on it too, as she would have to provide a statement from them regarding her living arrangements. A whole big family of 'em, oh boy.:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">