• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TexasGal6421

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I pay my ex-husband $400/mnth for my daughter who is 18, still in school, and who has moved in with her boyfriend. I want to terminate the CS but his WIFE is saying no because I owe them according to her, 8K in unreimbursed medical expenses dating back to 2004. According to the court order they have 10 days to submit the bills, etc, to me and I have 10 days to pay them. They said themselves that they never pursued this and I have never seen 1 bill or anything. Now that I have asked my ex to sign an order to terminate the CS they won't sign it because they say I owe them the money. And, when my daughter calls them for money they tell her no because "your mother owes us 8K." Can a judge order me to continue to pay them CS for a child who is not there because I supposedly ow them this money? They did not abide by the order, how can I pay when I am not asked to and without seeing a bill? What about his responsibility to his daughter now?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I pay my ex-husband $400/mnth for my daughter who is 18, still in school, and who has moved in with her boyfriend. I want to terminate the CS but his WIFE is saying no because I owe them according to her, 8K in unreimbursed medical expenses dating back to 2004. According to the court order they have 10 days to submit the bills, etc, to me and I have 10 days to pay them. They said themselves that they never pursued this and I have never seen 1 bill or anything. Now that I have asked my ex to sign an order to terminate the CS they won't sign it because they say I owe them the money. And, when my daughter calls them for money they tell her no because "your mother owes us 8K." Can a judge order me to continue to pay them CS for a child who is not there because I supposedly ow them this money? They did not abide by the order, how can I pay when I am not asked to and without seeing a bill? What about his responsibility to his daughter now?
If your court order says that they have to give you the medical bills within 10 days, then if they fail to do so, you do not have to pay.

Now, they could go back to court and argue that there was some legitimate reason why they were unable to pay, but that's going to be hard to argue over 7 years of bills. In all likelihood, the court will tell them to jump in a lake. Worst case, the court might order you to pay any bills that were submitted within a reasonable time (perhaps the last few months of bills).

More importantly, don't EVER take legal advice from your ex - and especially not ex's new wife. You can absolutely be sure that they don't have your best interest in mind.

Go ahead and file to have support terminated.

dmcc10880

Unless otherwise stipulated in the judgment, child support automatically terminates when the child turns 18, or if 18 and still in high school, upon graduation. I'm taking it she is a senior, so not much longer.

As for the medical bills, misto is right on.

LdiJ

You do not need their permission to stop paying child support. If your child has aged out of child support according to your court orders or your state law, and you are paying dad directly, then simply stop paying.

If you have wage withholding, then file a motion in court to terminate child support.

TexasGal6421

Thank you all, you have made me feel a little better.

I have one more question. Do you think a judge will stop the CS to my ex even though my daughter is still in school (she is a JR)? And, she is living with her boyfriend.

dmcc10880

I have one more question. Do you think a judge will stop the CS to my ex even though my daughter is still in school (she is a JR)? And, she is living with her boyfriend.
Likely not. Your daughter is still in high school. She is not emancipated. However, the day she withdrawals from high school, that would be a termination date. So until then, you're still looking at another $5k in support payments.

CSO286

Doubtful. Most states operate under the assumption that the cusotdial prent is still providing for the child (regrdless of whose roof the child is living under) if the child is no longer residing with the CP while still in school.

TexasGal6421

I hear you and the sad thing is that they are not supporting her. She called them last week for lunch money and they told her no. So, she will suffer and they will get to live off of support meant for her. Nice, real nice system. sigh....

CSO286

I hear you and the sad thing is that they are not supporting her. She called them last week for lunch money and they told her no. So, she will suffer and they will get to live off of support meant for her. Nice, real nice system. sigh....
Perhaps she should move back in with them or in with with you.....If she is under their roof, they have the obligation to support her. If she is under yours, then you can file change of custody and end support.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sad...SAD???

The 18 year old has decided to tell her parents to screw off, oh but not if she needs money! I think that Dad and Step-Mom are doing the exact right thing. She wants to run off and play house...have at it! But don't expect handouts.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless otherwise stipulated in the judgment, child support automatically terminates when the child turns 18, or if 18 and still in high school, upon graduation. I'm taking it she is a senior, so not much longer.

As for the medical bills, misto is right on.
dmcc10880 - that is not the case in all states. I know for an absolute fact that it is not true in NJ, for example. Do you know for a fact that it is the case in TX, or are you assuming? I don't know if it is or not; that's a question, not a rebuttal.

dmcc10880

dmcc10880 - that is not the case in all states. I know for an absolute fact that it is not true in NJ, for example. Do you know for a fact that it is the case in TX, or are you assuming? I don't know if it is or not; that's a question, not a rebuttal.
No worries, it's TX Family Code Chapter 154, Sec. 154.002

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">