• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unreimbursed medical expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eeyore3847

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

My ex does not owe a huge amount. a little over $300 since last summer for his share of medical, his share of extra curricular payments and also his share of back to school expenses (which our divorce decree states he owes 1/2 of, he agreed to that in the divorce).

His lawyer sent a unfriendly letter stating he was going to pay the expenses through the clearinghouse..

Isn't he supposed to pay me directly as he has done in the past. .. that is my question

oh and he is behind on CS as well. Not a lot just a couple grand....

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

My ex does not owe a huge amount. a little over $300 since last summer for his share of medical, his share of extra curricular payments and also his share of back to school expenses (which our divorce decree states he owes 1/2 of, he agreed to that in the divorce).

His lawyer sent a unfriendly letter stating he was going to pay the expenses through the clearinghouse..

Isn't he supposed to pay me directly as he has done in the past. .. that is my question

oh and he is behind on CS as well. Not a lot just a couple grand....
Why do you care how he pays you? As long as you get paid, why would it matter that he paid through the clearinghouse?

Sounds like you're trying to create a problem where none exists.

eeyore3847

Why do you care how he pays you? As long as you get paid, why would it matter that he paid through the clearinghouse?

Sounds like you're trying to create a problem where none exists.
not creating a problem. the clearing house is for child support payments only. if you pay them it goes towards the total of child support paid which is seperate from un reimbursed expenses.

I know for sure the extra curriculars and medical are to be paid direct according to our parenting plan. just looking for an actual answer from someing that can offer a yes or no not a rude comment

tuffbrk

Your court orders would govern how/when payment should occur.

Regardless, if he sends $300 to the clearinghouse and it is forwarded to you as child support, then he still owes you the $300 for supplies. At some point, you can skip off to court and file for contempt in order to obtain it.

By the way, it would be greatly appreciated in the future if you don't waste the volunteers' time by asking a question for which you already know the answer. Thanks!

WiggyFife

Your court orders would govern how/when payment should occur.

Regardless, if he sends $300 to the clearinghouse and it is forwarded to you as child support, then he still owes you the $300 for supplies. At some point, you can skip off to court and file for contempt in order to obtain it.

By the way, it would be greatly appreciated in the future if you don't waste the volunteers' time by asking a question for which you already know the answer. Thanks!
I'm in Arizona, where CS order is located.

I am the NCP, & the current-cycle CS for 2 minor children is getting garnished from my paycheck as of last week. The CS order is recent (signed & filed 06-2012). I am sending additional money thru the clearinghouse to clear up the back (CS retroed back to 05-2012) CS amount.

My question is that once the back CS is all caught up, is there any issues that I need to be aware of with me paying Unreimbursed Medical expenses thru the same clearinghouse, so it can be officially tracked that I've payed, rather than paying directly to the Mother, and possibly having said payment(s) possibly later mis-construed as a "gift"? There is no specific mention in the CS order of how UM is to be paid (direct or otherwise). Obviously the current-cycle CS is being garnished from my paycheck, so that takes care of itself.

The reason I ask is that soon to be ex lawyered-up shortly after what was to be just a separation (which I initiated the separation). I simply moved out, so there wasn't any legal separation paperwork filed. I was thinking that a separation would give us time to decide if our relationship was salvageable. Anyway, She had initially served me the Petition for Child Support hearing paperwork. She then apparantly consulted with a lawyer, & had been advised that without either a Legal Separation, or Divorce proceedings, the Child Support request would have no standing. With that being said, she instantly chose to initiate the Divorce paperwork, for which the Decree should be issued at the end of 07-2012.

The couple hundred dollars that I had paid voluntarily directly to Mother via check with "Child Support" written on the memo line of the checks, prior to the CS hearing, ended up getting "disqualified" for lack of a better term as being classified as a "gift" as it wasn't paid thru the clearinghouse. I had even brought with me print-outs from the financial institution of the cleared checks as proof. This proof didn't change that outcome.

I just want to be sure that I don't get stuck giving anymore "gift" payments to the Mother, so I'd just assume to pay thru the clearinghouse so I can have appropriate proof that I'm paying UM accordingly. I am not financially able to hire a lawyer at this time.

I appreciate your help in advance...:confused:

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">