• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

an unusual case child suport

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

danf6975

What is the name of your state? divorce filed in louisiana. ex wife lives in michigan im currently in florida after 8 years of living in japan.

i was contacted by the child support enforcement agency of louisiana .

i just got back into the country ( spent 8 years in japan and am re married with children to a japanese national) and was just told i would be incarserated if i do not pay back child support.
the story starts after we where devorced . we got back together and i moved in with her in michigan . after deciding that things would not work out we decide i should leave ( rather ex wife decided after i caught her with another man again) so she wanted me out as fast as possible and told me in the presence of her family members on more than one occasion

"I dont want anything from you ever again, i just want you to leave."

"I never want you to see us again."

"I dont want money from you. I want you to leave."

and when asked about the bank account info for deposit ,on the phone :
" im not giving you anything"

now as i understand it

A child support payment could be modified by stipulation between the parents (as long as guideline support factors have been accounted for) or by a noticed court hearing.

copied from a legal site..

now the problem that arrises is a little more complicated due to the fact that i am here in the US as a student and have no income. i study full time and even now do not have all the required money to finish my schooling . i am relying completely on my current wife and family ( still in japan) for everything while i study.
i would have no problems even now paying the ex wife if it where not for the above facts .
currently i my only income is the money used to pay the bills and for food which is furnished via my room mate.

im not sure of what im really asking because of the multi state issue and the lack of income and the time requirements that im under for my studies.
can or should i ask for an amends to the LA court system for my current situation?

thanks for any bit of advice . i have been looking at links but all i come up with is more links that dance around the questions and nothing that effects me directly.

dan

Silverplum

danf6975 said:
What is the name of your state? divorce filed in louisiana. ex wife lives in michigan im currently in florida after 8 years of living in japan.

i was contacted by the child support enforcement agency of louisiana .

i just got back into the country ( spent 8 years in japan and am re married with children to a japanese national) and was just told i would be incarserated if i do not pay back child support.
the story starts after we where devorced . we got back together and i moved in with her in michigan . after deciding that things would not work out we decide i should leave ( rather ex wife decided after i caught her with another man again) so she wanted me out as fast as possible and told me in the presence of her family members on more than one occasion

"I dont want anything from you ever again, i just want you to leave."
"I never want you to see us again."
"I dont want money from you. I want you to leave."
and when asked about the bank account info for deposit ,on the phone :
" im not giving you anything"

now as i understand it

A child support payment could be modified by stipulation between the parents (as long as guideline support factors have been accounted for) or by a noticed court hearing.

copied from a legal site..

now the problem that arrises is a little more complicated due to the fact that i am here in the US as a student and have no income. i study full time and even now do not have all the required money to finish my schooling . i am relying completely on my current wife and family ( still in japan) for everything while i study.
i would have no problems even now paying the ex wife if it where not for the above facts .
currently i my only income is the money used to pay the bills and for food which is furnished via my room mate.

im not sure of what im really asking because of the multi state issue and the lack of income and the time requirements that im under for my studies.
can or should i ask for an amends to the LA court system for my current situation?

thanks for any bit of advice . i have been looking at links but all i come up with is more links that dance around the questions and nothing that effects me directly.dan
Oh, there's no dancing, dan. If there was a court order for support and you didn't pay it, you owe it. Plus interest. At the original amount, until and unless modified by a judge.

Here's the interesting part, dan. All the whole time you were gone, your child has been growing and eating and needing clothes and school supplies and water and food and medicine and other health care and heat and transportation ~ just to name a few things.

Here's another interesting fact for ya, dan. Your desire to go to school instead of support your child is not a valid legal reason to not support your child.

MrsK

Silverplum said:
Oh, there's no dancing, dan. If there was a court order for support and you didn't pay it, you owe it. Plus interest. At the original amount, until and unless modified by a judge.

Here's the interesting part, dan. All the whole time you were gone, your child has been growing and eating and needing clothes and school supplies and water and food and medicine and other health care and heat and transportation ~ just to name a few things.

Here's another interesting fact for ya, dan. Your desire to go to school instead of support your child is not a valid legal reason to not support your child.
Actually, they do not charge interest here in Louisiana.

A few questions for you, Dan- when were you served for this court date determining the amount of support you owed?

Also- how much does the state say that you owe?

Was she on state aid or did she file for support through CSE?

That is funny stuff. :D

"A child support payment could be modified by stipulation between the parents (as long as guideline support factors have been accounted for) "

That does not mean that she can yell something at you (or you can SAY she yelled something at you) and it will be recognized in a court of law.

Boy are you gonna have fun reading some of the responses that are bound to follow mine.

P.S....you may want to get ready to quit school. It really shouldn't be a priority at this point.

fairisfair

Silverplum said:

good reply, guess we are safe in assuming he isn't enrolled in parenting classes. (can I roll eyes?)

MrsK

Silverplum said:
Thanks for the fact! I appreciate it. :)

(freakin' Louisiana ~ always with the weird stuff! :p )
Let me tell you, I HATE this state when it comes to Family Law. Its absolutely BACKASSWARDS.

You might be surprised to learn this- our state doesnt even care if they have the right guy on the hook for child support :eek: They just want SOMEONE to pay, esp in cases where mom is a food-stamp champ. :rolleyes: We also have these idiotic dual paternity laws.

We're also the ONLY state in the US to have forced heirship, where if your children are under age 24, you HAVE to give them a certain percentage of your estate if you die. Not if they are over 24, but you could have a child that, for whatever reason, you do NOT want to be a part of the estate, and you have NO CHOICE but to include them. Really consitutional, I know. :rolleyes:

MrsK

fairisfair said:
good reply, guess we are safe in assuming he isn't enrolled in parenting classes. (can I roll eyes?)
Just dont let them get stuck that way ;)

Silverplum

fairisfair said:
Yes, but I'm gonna be really, really jealous ~ and I'm hoping you noticed my complete and utter avoidance of such in my first response!!

fairisfair

Unusual case...... let's see, NCP disappears for years, never pays child support or attempts to contact children, finally resurfaces, generally by accident or necessity, is AMAZED to find that child support has been accruing, blames CP for the fact that it hasn't been paid, looks for every way out of paying and uses every excuse as to why it can't be paid, school, new family, more kids. YEah, lots of unusual stuff here. (now I will roll eyes)

danf6975

well it seems you have a lot of bias twards the ex wife . the fact is she is very well off .
me on thet other hand ONLY returned to america because my family is paying for my education. the facts are i have no money of my own and quiting school is not an option as i am not the one paying for it.. there has been no judgement against me as of yet , just a threatening phone call saying if i dont pay money i will be put in jail..

i really do wish i had the money to pay her even if she didnt want it because its not really for her its for my son. i could ask for legitimacy to be established as she was cheating on me before durring and after ( from her own mouth)

basically how am i suposed to pay money i dont have at this time?

i came here asking an unpopular question and so far the only fact i have gleaned is
1 louisiana dont charge interest( a good thing i guess)
2 that while i was away i continued to accrue debt even though the ex wife said she did not want the money ( i guess i could have figured that out with enough thought )
3 that so far people here are more interested in me paying ( im not against it when i can btw) than looking at the circumstances of a well off cheeting ex wife with some doubt as to legitimacy of the child ( i will assume it is mine because at birth he did look a lot like me )

is there anyone out there willing to help someone that is just looking for how to go about handling this without forcing me to return to japan because that is my only option if i leave school.

danf6975

fairisfair said:
Unusual case...... let's see, NCP disappears for years, never pays child support or attempts to contact children, finally resurfaces, generally by accident or necessity, is AMAZED to find that child support has been accruing, blames CP for the fact that it hasn't been paid, looks for every way out of paying and uses every excuse as to why it can't be paid, school, new family, more kids. YEah, lots of unusual stuff here. (now I will roll eyes)
and i would appriciate it if you would not post any more in this thread if you are as unwilling to help me with more than sarcastic jibes.

Silverplum

danf6975 said:
well it seems you have a lot of bias twards the ex wife . the fact is she is very well off .
me on thet other hand ONLY returned to america because my family is paying for my education. the facts are i have no money of my own and quiting school is not an option as i am not the one paying for it.. there has been no judgement against me as of yet , just a threatening phone call saying if i dont pay money i will be put in jail..

i really do wish i had the money to pay her even if she didnt want it because its not really for her its for my son. i could ask for legitimacy to be established as she was cheating on me before durring and after ( from her own mouth)

basically how am i suposed to pay money i dont have at this time?

i came here asking an unpopular question and so far the only fact i have gleaned is
1 louisiana dont charge interest( a good thing i guess)
2 that while i was away i continued to accrue debt even though the ex wife said she did not want the money ( i guess i could have figured that out with enough thought )
3 that so far people here are more interested in me paying ( im not against it when i can btw) than looking at the circumstances of a well off cheeting ex wife with some doubt as to legitimacy of the child ( i will assume it is mine because at birth he did look a lot like me )

is there anyone out there willing to help someone that is just looking for how to go about handling this without forcing me to return to japan because that is my only option if i leave school.
Ya'll have a real good trip home to Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">