• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unwed mother temporary custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noer

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? ohio

my 18 year old daughter who was living with the father of her baby wants to make sure of her rights of temporary custody of their baby. they had been fighting and decided to be apart for a couple days but it was thanksgiving morning and she didn't have any clothes for her and the baby for the day, and he wouldn't answer the phone so she drove to their house to get some. He wouldn't answer the door either but there was a car in the parking lot that looked very familiar with the one that belonged to a girl he had supposedly been talking to lately...

the father decided to pick another girl to have in their home and let my daughter walk in and see. (she is still there) this happened thanksgiving morning. she called the police to try to get him to open the door (he had a child proof cover over the door handle of the outside door) so she could get clothes for her and the baby for thanksgiving. the police finally got him to open the door and they were sitting on the couch waiting for her to come in...she called me and was so upset and I ran there so she wouldn't get arrested for hitting someone or something. anyway, of course we got their clothes and some other belongings that we could fit into our two cars. she is so hurt of course but now he is now trying to turn the tables and saying stuff like he will try to get custody of the baby from her and how he has his own place for her and she lives with her parents, etc. and has nothing to offer the baby.

I have read a couple postings that say that unwed mothers automatically have custody of a baby (in most states). is this true or do we need to go file something in court monday morning? also, she has decided (at least today anyway :) ) that she wants to file child support on him. what is the procedure in our state for unmarried people to do that? do we need a lawyer first before applying in court?

Any help would be very much appreciated. My email address is listed here if you want to contact me privately. Thank you. Robin Noe

VA_Mom

Unwed mothers do not have any advantage over an unwed father. It comes down to what is best for the child.

If both you and the police witnessed him purposely locking your daughter out of the home to retrieve her AND the baby's belonging, then saw another woman in their home, I would bring it up at the custody hearing. If he also hit your daughter in front of the baby, I would also inform the judge. Domestic violence is frowned on in a custody case.

Your daughter should file for custody, support and visitation. It looks better if she goes ahead and requests visitation for him.

No need to get an attorney. Go speak to the clerk of the court and file sooner (meaning Monday) than later. Ignore his threats for custody but be prepared to explain why the child will be better with your daughter than her ex.

devon1022

I went through this

When my son was born almost 9 years ago, I knew his father and I would not be staying together. I immediately went to Court to file for custody and such. I was afraid of his family having him and not returning him. I asked the woman who was doing my paperwork what would happen if they tried to get full custody (believe me these people are nuts!!!!!) and she told me they only way for them to get full custody is if someone actually walked in and saw me smoking crack over the crib!!!!!! Amazing how I went through all that bullcrap and his father has only seen him twice in 9 years!!!!! Oh well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">