• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Update on my 2 child support cases

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ThisCantBeLife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY & NJ

Hey all! I'm not sure why my previous post was closed/locked but this is the original post: https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-support-98/can-one-state-make-another-state-lower-my-cs-amount-601361.html

anyway, I wanted to update anyone who was interested.

I hired an attorney in NY and she filed an objection on my behalf. After a judge heard the transcripts from my hearing and read the grounds of the objection, he ruled that the magistrate had ruled incorrectly and basically vacated her order and sent it back to her for recalculation. NY *does* have to take into account a COURT ORDER for a child who is not a party to the case in front of the magistrate even if the order in front of her was issued first.

After all was said and done, NY order was only raised an additional $60/month. NJ did not have to do anything. And the new order has me only owing $280 in arrears (since Sept) but since I've paid a little over $2000 since the new order was signed in May so I have a credit.

I just wanted to thank everyone and hope that user BL is feeling better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">