• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

urgently need answer about support issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

3scompany

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio
please read the whole post before commenting.
My husband has had residential custody of kids since divorce from ex. (12 yrs)
ex had to pay minimal support over years (and even though in documents) has NEVER once paid one cent towards anything else, no medical bills (and we've had plenty!) no school clothes, supplies, no birthdays, nothing....along with minimal visits!!
ex lives 1 town over and in an adjoing school district.
our oldest daughter thinking the grass will be greener and she can do whatever she likes with bio-mom and not have to follow our rules, asked to go there and live.
she turned 18 the beginning of september, is in her senior year and will graduate in june. she had a job and quit it without cause once she left our residence.
since daughter was still 17 upon moving, my husband asked ex to file with court to obtain custody so that she could enroll her into school, file for secondary insurance, etc...legally. (they had shared parenting in documents up til this point)
my husband still pays insurance for her fully. i realize that she is his child and he loves her dearly but will he have to pay child support for her until she graduates high school or is his obligation done since she's a legal adult of 18?
ex still owes back support to us and 3 more yrs for younger child.

Last edited:

CSO286

ex had to pay minimal support over years and even though in documents has NEVER has paid one cent towards anything else, no medical bills (and we've had plenty!) no school clothes, supplies, no birthdays, nothing....along with minimal visits!!
our oldest daughter thinking the grass will be greener and she can do whatever she likes with bio-mom and not have to follow our rules, asked to go there and live.
she turned 18 the beginning of september, is in her senior year and will graduate in june. she had a job and quit it without cause once she left our residence.
since daughter was still 17 upon moving, my husband asked ex to file with court to obtain custody so that she could enroll her into school, file for secondary insurance, etc...legally. (they had shared parenting in documents up til this point)
my husband still pays insurance for her fully. i realize that she is his child and he loves her dearly but will he have to pay child support for her until she graduates high school or is his obligation done since she's a legal adult of 18?
Ex doesn't owe "us" anything. Ex owes Dad.

And Mom is Mom. Not Bio-Mom, unless we are discussing adoption.

And if an obligation for Dad to pay Mom support is ordered, it is more likely that they'll offset the obligation Mom owes, or take it off the arrears owed.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
ex had to pay minimal support over years (and even though in documents) has NEVER once paid one cent towards anything else, no medical bills (and we've had plenty!) no school clothes, supplies, no birthdays, nothing....along with minimal visits!!
Not. Your. Daughter. Bio-mom? Nope. She is mom. Maybe the child is just sick of your attitude towards her mother.

Antigone*

I would like to offer you congrautlations as this is not your issue and you have nothing to worry about. As a step-mom you have no obligations whatsoever. Dad, on the other hand does.

If dad did not exercise his rights to collect whatever was due to him by way of support or medical expenses, that is on him.

3scompany

excuse me....i posted on here to get a legitimate answer.
i am used to posting on a step parent site that uses the term "bio" and "step" quite frequently.
you do not know our situation...I, the lowly step-parent have indeed been the only MOM these kids have known for 12 yrs now. so i do take offense to your remarks! re-read my post and you'll realize that MOM has done NOTHING for the kids, period!!
the only reason OUR daughter wanted to live with her bio-mom is because she wanted to be able to smoke, drink, do drugs and have sex with her new little boyfriend.....all of which we said no to!!! and wonder mom has no problem with it.....so, if you think that is an attitude....why yes, it is!!
i have done EVERYTHING for these kids and even their bio-mom knows that!
i want an honest to goodness answer about what i asked because we do not have money to go thru a lawyer to obtain it...i am finding problems locating it on line. thought this site could be helpful.

Antigone*

i am used to posting on a step parent site that uses the term "bio" and "step" quite frequently.
you do not know our situation...I, the lowly step-parent have indeed been the only MOM these kids have known for 12 yrs now. so i do take offense to your remarks! re-read my post and you'll realize that MOM has done NOTHING for the kids, period!!
the only reason OUR daughter wanted to live with her bio-mom is because she wanted to be able to smoke, drink, do drugs and have sex with her new little boyfriend.....all of which we said no to!!! and wonder mom has no problem with it.....so, if you think that is an attitude....why yes, it is!!
i want an honest to goodness answer about what i asked because we do not have money to go thru a lawyer to obtain it...i am finding problems locating it on line. thought this site could be helpful.
Well, I think the overstepper has blossomed:rolleyes:.

Again, not your issue and if MOM files for support she may get it.

Silverplum

And you did. A legal, legitimate point of view. And an answer.

3scompany said:
Well, we don't. When in Rome...

3scompany said:
you do not know our situation...
We don't know anyone's situation. Doesn't matter.

That's why there are basic rules and laws. Doesn't matter if you were speeding to get home because you think your puppy might whiz on the hardwood: it's still against the law to speed.

3scompany said:
I, the lowly step-parent have indeed been the only MOM these kids have known for 12 yrs now. so i do take offense to your remarks!
You're on a LEGAL site.

Legally, you're nobody in the equation.

Neither am I. :cool:

3scompany said:
re-read my post and you'll realize that MOM has done NOTHING for the kids, period!!
Other than give birth.

Legally? That's enough.

3scompany said:
Well, so there.

3scompany said:
It is quite helpful.
You did get answers.

mistoffolees

Since no one has mentioned it so far, have Dad come here to post his own questions. He will have all the necessary background information. While you're waiting, you can read the sticky at the top of the page.

3scompany

and yes....it is my issue as he is my husband and they are my children, anything that involves them, involves me, we are a package.
sorry that you have such angst for step-parents....all of us aren't the devil, re-incarnated! sorry, if that is your situation.
now....does anyone have an actual, legitimate state of ohio answer!?

CSO286

Well, given that this a site dedicated to providing legal information, we do require that posters learn and use the correct legal terms for the parties involved. And you, as a stepparent are not a legal party to this action. Ther are only two parties here: Mom and Dad. Now Mom may be a craptacular parent, but that's irrelevant. She is still Mom. As I indicated in my first response to you, Bio-mom is only appropriate when discussing adoption. I was neither rude nor inappropriate in that response.

I also provided solid info to move forward with.

I don't care if you gave this child the key to Disneyworld and a billon dollars. You are not her parent, legally speaking.

If this matters to Dad, to the point that he is as concerned as you appear to be, please have him come and sign up. We are open 24/7/365 and we will be happy to provide him with the same answers...

Silverplum

and yes....it is my issue as he is my husband and they are my children, anything that involves them, involves me, we are a package.
That's a common and incorrect answer.

3scompany said:
sorry that you have such angst for step-parents....all of us aren't the devil, re-incarnated!
Good gracious, woman. :eek:

Nobody came close to that sort of talk. Just YOU. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

3scompany said:
sorry, if that is your situation.
I think you need to go back to your stepmom board, reunite with Your People.

3scompany said:
The Ohio family law attorney who answered you was actual and legitimate.

*shrug*

So were the rest of the responses.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
sorry that you have such angst for step-parents....all of us aren't the devil, re-incarnated! sorry, if that is your situation.
Completely, totally and unequivocally WRONG. They are HIS children and HER children. NOT yours.

So run along and tell Dad to deal with his own legal situation. Alternatively, have him make an appointment with an attorney.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I gave you a legitimate answer. And mom can file for support. Whether she gets it depends on a lot of things. And you are still NO ONE TO THIS SITUATION. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero. You are the woman sleeping with dad. That doesn't give you ANY legal standing for his children.

LdiJ

I will also add that since the child is 18, she could have moved out of her father's home and into any home that would take her in, if she wanted to. She is a legal adult now. She could have moved in with the boyfriend.

Yes, because she is still in high school her parents have an obligation to support her (maybe they could get her completely emancipated if she lived in no parent's home, but that's a moot point since she moved in with mom) until she graduates from high school.

I will add one other point. Since she is likely insured under a family policy that would cost the same whether she is on it or not, I would encourage dad to keep her insured for as long as he is legally allowed to do so. He would hate himself if something serious happened and she was unable to get the treatment she needed because she had no insurance.

Last edited:

Silverplum

II will add one other point. Since she is likely insured under a family policy that would cost the same whether she is on it or not, I would encourage dad to keep her insured for as long as he is legally allowed to do so. He would hate himself if something serious happened and she was unable to get the treatment she needed because she had no insurance.
I think that's rash and overstated. "Hate" is an exceedingly strong word.

"Regret" is a good word for this situation. (If that's what he would ~feel,~ at all.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">