• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US jurisdiction over European Childsupport?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Timofeef

What is the name of your state? PA

I am a European (Dutch), residing in Pennsylvania. My Dutch ex wife lives in Spain with my son and her new husband. They are filing for Child Support in my County Court. Until the final hearing, the court has put a temporary court order for support in place. My ex wife and I had a mutual agreement through an attorney in place. My question is: does my local (US) court has jurisdiction over this? As far as my Dutch attorney can tell me, is this a case that needs to be taken care of in either Spain or the Netherlands.

BelizeBreeze

And your case has nothing to do with the poster's situation. There is no standing permanent order for support so unless the poster can return here and provide more facts, no answer can be made regarding jurisdiction.

Timofeef

What info would you need?

What info would you be needing?

I have been paying my ex wife, because of an existing agreement made in the Netherlands in 1999. At the time we both lived there. About a year ago, we agreed on a higher amount. Which I have been paying. Now she wants more, so she is filing through my local county court. Domestic Relations is making me pay a rediculous amount of money every month until there is a support hearing. I would like to settle this through the Dutch court system or the Spanish, since my son lives there.

Thanks

BelizeBreeze

Timofeef said:
What info would you be needing?

I have been paying my ex wife, because of an existing agreement made in the Netherlands in 1999. At the time we both lived there. About a year ago, we agreed on a higher amount. Which I have been paying. Now she wants more, so she is filing through my local county court. Domestic Relations is making me pay a rediculous amount of money every month until there is a support hearing. I would like to settle this through the Dutch court system or the Spanish, since my son lives there.

Thanks
And was the agreement reached in the Netherlands through the court system? Is it an order of the court or a contract between the two of you?

BelizeBreeze

Also, are you a citizen of this country, a resident or of other legal status, how long have you lived here and has the child ever resided in this country?

Timofeef

Re:

I am a resident of the US, and the agreement was made between us. I have a document signed by both me and my ex-wife. I have lived here since 2000. My son has never lived here.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">