• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US-Mexico Child Custody Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NewMama2015

I have a question regarding custody of a child born to a US citizen and a Mexican citizen. Specifically, the mother (who is pregnant with the child) is from the US and the father is from Mexico and they live respectively in their home countries. The mother and father are not married, nor plan to be. The question is will the father have parental rights to the child after the child is born? Are there precautions the mother should take now to protect the custody of the child in the future?

I'm posting this same question to a few different forums to get a few opinions/thoughts. If you've replied on another forum, no need to reply here.

Thanks so much!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have a question regarding custody of a child born to a US citizen and a Mexican citizen. Specifically, the mother (who is pregnant with the child) is from the US and the father is from Mexico and they live respectively in their home countries. The mother and father are not married, nor plan to be. The question is will the father have parental rights to the child after the child is born? Are there precautions the mother should take now to protect the custody of the child in the future?

I'm posting this same question to a few different forums to get a few opinions/thoughts. If you've replied on another forum, no need to reply here.

Thanks so much!
The legally correct answers don't depend on what forum you post to, nor do they depend on the opinions of people.

The purported father of the child will have no legal rights to the child unless paternity is established. This can be done by way of an acknowledgment of paternity or a court action. Even after paternity is established, he would have to get a court order for custody and/or visitation before he has any enforceable rights to those things.

ETA: Perhaps mom should log on to ask her own questions...

Proserpina

Thanks so much!

The alleged father will have exactly the same rights as any other unwed father-to-be - he can file to establish paternity, custody/visitation and child support.

If Mom doesn't want him to have any contact at all, she has exactly one option available (and she might not actually have that).

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Thanks so much!
Mother should have an abortion of the child. That is the only way to protect the child's father from having rights. Or she could use the TARDIS and be a bit pickier with whom she allows to impregnate her.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Don't you all love the fact that the mother wasn't concerned when she was doing the humpty dance with the putative father but not it is a bother? Maybe the new mother should have been more concerned about who she had intercourse with. Then she wouldn't have this issue. :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Mother should have an abortion of the child. That is the only way to protect the child's father from having rights. Or she could use the TARDIS and be a bit pickier with whom she allows to impregnate her.
To be fair, the poster didn't ask about preventing the putative father from having rights. ;)

NewMama2015

Wow. Lots of negative opinions. Thanks though for the info on what I requested.

By the way, this was not an unplanned or unwanted pregnancy. I'm not trying to prevent contact, just wanted to know what rights were in place.

LdiJ

Wow. Lots of negative opinions. Thanks though for the info on what I requested.

By the way, this was not an unplanned or unwanted pregnancy. I'm not trying to prevent contact, just wanted to know what rights were in place.
I actually understand why you have concerns. The fact that you and dad live in different countries is enough of a reason all by itself to have concerns. However you did get accurate answers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">