• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A very serious case/ I am very confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

QMN101

What is the name of your state?

My mom lives in GA I am currently living in MD with my father.
I am the 15 year old child. My mother has custody of me

Child Support started when I was 11 years old. I am currently 15 years old.
I was living in TN when my child support started. The first child support payments were $375 and then they were raised to $478. This was because of back child support, the 11 years my father did not pay and my father says also because I was not under his medical insurance. My mom openly made it known that she was using the child support payments, to help pay the bills and make sure that my sisters and I had everything that we needed. Which we were perfectly fine with. My sisters fathers were also paying child support. My sister was very ill and we moved to Atlanta, Ga where she could receive the best treatment. She has been receiving SSI also. My mom did not have a job and was using the SSI and child support payments to make sure we had a place to live. My mom decided it was best for me and my little sisters to go stay with our different fathers until she is able to get back on her feet. I am currently living in MD with my father I have been here for 2 months. My sister is living in TN with her father. My older disable sister and mother are still living in Atlanta. My father and my mother are not on the same page. My father is telling me that once I had moved up here the child support case should have been closed and The money that was being sent should come back to his income. He is saying she is breaking the law and could go to jail for fraud. I know my mother and she has let me known that she is taking that money and saving what she can so that I can have a better place to live once I go back to Atlanta.Child support payments from my little sister have stopped and the SSI is suppose to stop in April. My father is also saying the money that was being sent was for me to have clothes and shoes.

What is the legal definition of supporting a child?
Should the child support stop? I will be out of high school in two years
Is my mother breaking any laws? What should be done?
Does my dad keep paying for the 11 years he didn't pay?
Should I believe what my Dad is saying?

MandyD

QMN101, support is used for much more than just clothes and shoes. If it weren't, then the amount that most people pay would be far too much. I mean, who really needs $500 worth of clothes and shoes each month?

Support also pays for the NCP's share of rent/mortgage for their child, utilities, doctor's bills, food, etc. In other words, support payments go toward EVERYTHING needed to support another person, not just tangibles like clothes and shoes.

If your father feels he shouldn't be paying support at this time, it's up to him to go back to the court that has jurisdiction and ask for a modification. Until that is done, he MUST continue to obey the court orders and send support to your mother. He will always owe his arrearages until they're paid.

LdiJ

QMN101 said:
What is the name of your state?

My mom lives in GA I am currently living in MD with my father.
I am the 15 year old child. My mother has custody of me

Child Support started when I was 11 years old. I am currently 15 years old.
I was living in TN when my child support started. The first child support payments were $375 and then they were raised to $478. This was because of back child support, the 11 years my father did not pay and my father says also because I was not under his medical insurance. My mom openly made it known that she was using the child support payments, to help pay the bills and make sure that my sisters and I had everything that we needed. Which we were perfectly fine with. My sisters fathers were also paying child support. My sister was very ill and we moved to Atlanta, Ga where she could receive the best treatment. She has been receiving SSI also. My mom did not have a job and was using the SSI and child support payments to make sure we had a place to live. My mom decided it was best for me and my little sisters to go stay with our different fathers until she is able to get back on her feet. I am currently living in MD with my father I have been here for 2 months. My sister is living in TN with her father. My older disable sister and mother are still living in Atlanta. My father and my mother are not on the same page. My father is telling me that once I had moved up here the child support case should have been closed and The money that was being sent should come back to his income. He is saying she is breaking the law and could go to jail for fraud. I know my mother and she has let me known that she is taking that money and saving what she can so that I can have a better place to live once I go back to Atlanta.Child support payments from my little sister have stopped and the SSI is suppose to stop in April. My father is also saying the money that was being sent was for me to have clothes and shoes.

What is the legal definition of supporting a child?
Should the child support stop? I will be out of high school in two years
Is my mother breaking any laws? What should be done?
Does my dad keep paying for the 11 years he didn't pay?
Should I believe what my Dad is saying?
Child support covers all expenses, including housing, utilities, food, clothing etc.

Since you are living with your dad the current child support might stop, however since he owes back support still for 11 years he would probably still have to give your mother the same amount of money.....because he will continue to owe that money until its paid in full.....and no, your mother isn't in any trouble...nor is she breaking any laws.

Your dad shouldn't be involving you in these matters.

QMN101

Thank You

I just want to say thank you to everyone for their advice and thier support
I deeply appreciate it

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">