• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation of support (contempt)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nachobaybe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA/NY

Hoping to get some clarification on enforcing child support when parents live in different states.

I am a father who lives in CA and mother lives in NY. She has had no contact with our child for 7 years now. She owes over 5,000 in child support over the past 7 years and has never paid.

I filed for violation of support and a contempt of court order in her county. She is not disabled (says she is) but not on disability and has no REAL excuse or valid reason she is unable to pay child support (it is a very small dollar amount each month). She is a stay at home mother to some other kids she has had since our child. To my knowledge her driver's license has not been suspended.

I am wondering what I can expect from this hearing. Is anyone familiar with this type of case? What would be my best plan of action in court? I was thinking of asking for some type of work/education program for the Bio mom. Is this out of line to ask for?

I am also concerned I will not be taken seriously by the court because I am a man.

mother has a public defender because there is a chance she could face jail time for non-payment for so long. What are the chances that could happen? I am thinking they are slim.

Thank you in advance, any and all help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA/NY

Hoping to get some clarification on enforcing child support when parents live in different states.

I am a father who lives in CA and Bio mother lives in NY. She has had no contact with our child for 7 years now. She owes over 5,000 in child support over the past 7 years and has never paid.

I filed for violation of support and a contempt of court order in her county. She is not disabled (says she is) but not on disability and has no REAL excuse or valid reason she is unable to pay child support (it is a very small dollar amount each month). She is a stay at home mother to some other kids she has had since our child. To my knowledge her driver's license has not been suspended.

I am wondering what I can expect from this hearing. Is anyone familiar with this type of case? What would be my best plan of action in court? I was thinking of asking for some type of work/education program for the Bio mom. Is this out of line to ask for?

I am also concerned I will not be taken seriously by the court because I am a man.

Bio mother has a public defender because there is a chance she could face jail time for non-payment for so long. What are the chances that could happen? I am thinking they are slim.

Thank you in advance, any and all help is appreciated.
Please edit your post. It is offensive to call the child's "Bio Mother." The child has only one mother.

Do you have an attorney?

You are not dad, are you?

nachobaybe

Yes I am Dad, I do not mean to offend anyone. I use the word bio mom because she left (abandoned) our daughter at the age of 4 years old. She has not seen her since. To me Mother is a title that is earned, and that title goes to my current wife who has been meeting her needs emotionally, physically and financially over the last 7 years.

Antigone*

Yes I am Dad, I do not mean to offend anyone. I use the word bio mom because she left (abandoned) our daughter at the age of 4 years old. She has not seen her since. To me Mother is a title that is earned, and that title goes to my current wife who has been meeting her needs emotionally, physically and financially over the last 7 years.
nachobaybe, huh:rolleyes: Your wife who has been meeting his needs emotionally, physically and financially is a legal stranger.

CSO286

And just so you know, we say the exact same thing to women who call their childrens' father "bio-dad" or "sperm donor".

Either way, it's offensive.

Antigone*

And just so you know, we say the exact same thing to women who call their childrens' father "bio-dad" or "sperm donor".

Either way, it's offensive.
My gut is telling me that this is the legal stranger spewing her man's business all over the interwebs.

BL

So the order was made in NY ?

Is CSEU suppose to collect ?

If so and she owes 5 grand why hasn't CSEU taken enforcement action ?

nachobaybe

So the order was made in NY ?

Is CSEU suppose to collect ?

If so and she owes 5 grand why hasn't CSEU taken enforcement action ?
The original order was made in CA. Child support services is involved and has sent the matter to NY for enforcement. That was about 3-4 years ago. Nothing has been done as of yet.

nachobaybe

DAD. I'm not here to argue. I think my point is being missed. Anyone been going through the same problem as me? What has worked/not worked for you.?

Last edited:

Antigone*

DAD. I'm not here to argue. I think my point is being missed. Anyone been going through the same problem as me? What has worked/not worked for you.?
Baybe should get an attorney and a new moniker, if she intends to have us see through the lies.:cool:

~ tigi out:cool:

CSO286

There are some enforcement actions that can be taken on a case that csed can't trek the CP about. As an example, in MN, driver's license suspension is one that isn't disclosed to the cp.
Have you contacted your caseworker in new york? What did he or she say about the active enforcement remedies?

Eta: other enforcement actions can happen administratively-like passport denial and credit bureau reporting.....

Last edited:

nachobaybe

I have never been given a case worker in NY. When I have called to follow up with my case I am told that they do not discuss the case with me and to contact CA child support. So I call CA child support to ask what is going on and they never have anything new to tell me. All I hear is "we sent it to NY for enforcement".

BL

I have never been given a case worker in NY. When I have called to follow up with my case I am told that they do not discuss the case with me and to contact CA child support. So I call CA child support to ask what is going on and they never have anything new to tell me. All I hear is "we sent it to NY for enforcement".
Who are you calling in NY ?

1-800-846-0773 automated info.

1-888-208-4485 rep. about your case .

NYS Department of Social Services Division of Child Support Enforcement 40 North Pearl Street, 13thFloorAlbany, New York 12243-0001

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">