• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voluntary impoverishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdmommy1021

What are the guidelines for proving or using voluntary poverishment? My sons father drives a jag with $900 monthly payments, had his ex wife pay off credit cards and put in their divorce that they'd split the 10,000 plus 6250 possibility he can make a month. He also filed taxes in 2013 (most recent at time of settlement agreement) and left off 33,000 income. In my opinion that's fraud. He also split his income tax with his ex wife that makes over 100,000 (not her issue but additional monies left out). Any chance here? He owes thousands in medical and I barely make rent and I've paid almost half of the thousands owed for my sons medical and he hasn't so it's all in collections and it's destroying my credit....almost bankruptcy. Tia.

Proserpina

What are the guidelines for proving or using voluntary poverishment? My sons father drives a jag with $900 monthly payments, had his ex wife pay off credit cards and put in their divorce that they'd split the 10,000 plus 6250 possibility he can make a month. He also filed taxes in 2013 (most recent at time of settlement agreement) and left off 33,000 income. In my opinion that's fraud. He also split his income tax with his ex wife that makes over 100,000 (not her issue but additional monies left out). Any chance here? He owes thousands in medical and I barely make rent and I've paid almost half of the thousands owed for my sons medical and he hasn't so it's all in collections and it's destroying my credit....almost bankruptcy. Tia.
It might seem to be an odd question but exactly how do you know what he filed for his taxes?

I'mTheFather

It might seem to be an odd question but exactly how do you know what he filed for his taxes?
I'm gonna guess that she was sitting right next to him when he committed, or he told her all about, the 'fraud'. If the kid is 6 months old, they were probably together then.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
in other words (to make it clear to OP where she's going with this...)... OP was quite fine with "the fraud" while it benefited her.

LdiJ

in other words (to make it clear to OP where she's going with this...)... OP was quite fine with "the fraud" while it benefited her.
That is not necessarily fair. While one might totally disapprove of a significant other cheating on their taxes, that doesn't mean that they are going to turn them into the IRS (in fact, I doubt if any would)...nor is that a guarantee that the OP actually derived a benefit from it either.

I have friends who have divorced their exes over stuff like that however.

TigerD

Why the hostility toward this poster?
The questions seem understandable.

OP: If the father was ordered to pay half the medical and he hasn't, you should talk to an attorney about bringing him back into court to enforce the agreement.

TD

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why the hostility toward this poster?
The questions seem understandable.

OP: If the father was ordered to pay half the medical and he hasn't, you should talk to an attorney about bringing him back into court to enforce the agreement.

TD
I suspect it comes from the fact that this poster creates threads and then deletes them when the answers aren't to her liking.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
That is not necessarily fair. While one might totally disapprove of a significant other cheating on their taxes, that doesn't mean that they are going to turn them into the IRS (in fact, I doubt if any would)...nor is that a guarantee that the OP actually derived a benefit from it either.

I have friends who have divorced their exes over stuff like that however.

Perhaps. But OP was apparently not married to her kid's Dad, and is only now looking to use it against him. Color me jaded.

Silverplum

Perhaps. But OP was apparently not married to her kid's Dad, and is only now looking to use it against him. Color me jaded.
Nope, because I agree with you. She's trying to use everything she knows, or used to "know," against him. Why does she care if his ex paid off bills in his divorce settlement? It makes no difference to her. It's not her divorce. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">