• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

voluntary termination of parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

captnwedge

virginia
I am married, in the military and living in Virginia. I have a child by a woman in Maine. I have never seen this child and have no interest in seeing this child, nor did I have any say in her even haveing this child. I was just the donor. I have a family of my own and am the sole income provider. She has a husband and has a 2 income family. I am currently paying child support for a child I will never see or have any say on how he is to be raised. The court has raised my child support so high that it is hard for me to support the family I have. I feel that since I will never be able to have anything to do with this child that I should be able to give up any parental rights to this child because I can not be a parent to this child. How can I voluntarily give up my rights. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Phnx02

captnwedge said:
virginia
I am married, in the military and living in Virginia. I have a child by a woman in Maine. I have never seen this child and have no interest in seeing this child, nor did I have any say in her even haveing this child. I was just the donor. I have a family of my own and am the sole income provider. She has a husband and has a 2 income family. I am currently paying child support for a child I will never see or have any say on how he is to be raised. The court has raised my child support so high that it is hard for me to support the family I have. I feel that since I will never be able to have anything to do with this child that I should be able to give up any parental rights to this child because I can not be a parent to this child. How can I voluntarily give up my rights. :confused: :confused: :confused:
Unless her husband is willing to take on your financial responsibility for you.....thru adoption, you cannot. Your "donation" produced a child and it's now your parental & moral duty to provide for this child whether you like it or not. Sounds like you were both married at the time of the child's conception, so you now have to live with the consequenses since you were unfaithful and didn't use protection.

Grace_Adler

That's not true in VA. You don't have to have someone adopt in order to do a TPR. However, if her spouse wants to adopt and she wants her spouse to adopt, then you can consent to the adoption.

The only other option is the other parent is going to have to be the one to petition the court to terminate your rights based on the grounds for TPRs according to VA statutes.

mike2000

captnwedge said:
virginia
i am a father who loves and wants my kids and because of fathers like you the good fathers got a bad name and it makes it diffacult for us good to see our kids.the best thing you could do is see your child.and if you do not want to so be it pay for it.you are a dead beat dad pay.i would be ashamed to even post this.the guy raising your child is a father

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Grace_Adler said:
That's not true in VA. You don't have to have someone adopt in order to do a TPR. However, if her spouse wants to adopt and she wants her spouse to adopt, then you can consent to the adoption.

The only other option is the other parent is going to have to be the one to petition the court to terminate your rights based on the grounds for TPRs according to VA statutes.
However, mother and child apparently are residents of Maine, not Virginia. And Dad likely needs to follow ME law.

Dude..... You made your choice when you slept with her.

AHA

captnwedge said:
virginia
The fact that you will never see or help raise the child is ENTIRELY your choice. You can file for visitation at any time, but you have chosen not to, so don't you dare blame the innocent child for your lack of heart. I'd love to see how you handle it decades from now when the kid shows up at your door asking why you never gave a s*it about him/her.

WHY WHY WHY is it that people who are not fit to be parents breed like rabbits without any thoughts of the consequences????? It's a cruel curse mother nature gave some children in this world. I wish kids could choose their parents so that they at least would have a shot in hell for a happy childhood.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">