• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WA State - is CS in arrears collectable even after support order ends?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Smoor232

DD turns 18 in Nov but support due until high school completed. Non custodial parent in arrears by $14k. She'been paying regularly and in full for only a year because business license was threatened to be pulled, and is paying about $20 a month towards past due, which isn't much. What happens to arrears when order ends?

Smoor232

More info -2nd question

Reason I ask is because DD rebeling and it may be best for her to stay with BM for this school year. I can agree to pay for certain expenses like medical, cell, and some living expenses but if we go to court to modify CS order they will most likely consider household income (mine and my wife's) and require me to pay 4x what she paid(or mostly didn't pay) me. So I'm wondering if I can use the arrears and forgiveness thereof as leverage?

FlyingRon

The support order ending means that there is no additional money accruing into the arrearage amount, but it doesn't change the fact that the money is still owed and whatever sanctions exists (business or driver's license suspension) can still be applied.

She's certainly entitled to the amount of the child support due by the state forumla. Of course, you can argue that the arrearage should be taken off the top of the amounts due to her under the new order.

Last edited:

LdiJ

The support order ending means that there is no additional money accruing into the arrearage amount, but it doesn't change the fact that the money is still owed and whatever sanctions exists (business or driver's license suspension) can still be applied.

She's certainly entitled to the amount of the child support due by the state forumla. Of course, you can argue that the arrearage should be taken off the top of the amounts due to her under the new order.
In other words, you would be asking the court to deduct the monthly amount that you need to pay her, from the arrearage, rather than it coming out of your pocket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">