• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage assignment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newbernj

Hello, I am in California.

Starting in January, my employer will begin deducting child support from my checks. The amount is $717 a month. I get paid weekly and 4 months a year I get 5 checks.

If my company divides 717 by 4 that comes to 179 deducted per check. But what happens on those 4 months where I get an extra check? If they deduct another 179 from that 5th check, my ex will get 895 on those months, which is more than she's entitled.

So do companies automatically stop deducting for the month when the support amount is reached? Otherwise, 4 months out of every year, my ex will owe me 179 back. I'd rather not get into a situation where I have to get reimbursed four times a year from my ex.

I hope this makes sense.

Does anyone have this same situation? I would appreciate any feedback would be helpful.
Thanks!
John

Isis1

Hello, I am in California.

Starting in January, my employer will begin deducting child support from my checks. The amount is $717 a month. I get paid weekly and 4 months a year I get 5 checks.

If my company divides 717 by 4 that comes to 179 deducted per check. But what happens on those 4 months where I get an extra check? If they deduct another 179 from that 5th check, my ex will get 895 on those months, which is more than she's entitled.

So do companies automatically stop deducting for the month when the support amount is reached? Otherwise, 4 months out of every year, my ex will owe me 179 back. I'd rather not get into a situation where I have to get reimbursed four times a year from my ex.

I hope this makes sense.

Does anyone have this same situation? I would appreciate any feedback would be helpful.
Thanks!
John

as a receiver of child support with the same payout as your ex...

you won't be deducted by the monthly amount, but by the yearly amount.

your weekly child support payment is calculated differently. your monthly is amount $717. time the number of months in a year, divided by the number of weeks. so your amount is $165.46 a week. it evens out at the end of the year.

LdiJ

That makes sense. So my employer will know to automatically do that?
Hopefully, but employers in my state get a weekly or biweekly amount to deduct straight from the CSE...and they calculate it that way, so there is no question.

newbernj

Oh I see. So my employer won't have to figure anything out; child support services will just tell them to deduct 165 a week from my check? Is that right?

Isis1

Oh I see. So my employer won't have to figure anything out; child support services will just tell them to deduct 165 a week from my check? Is that right?
you know....i'm not one to assume others are doing their job as required anymore. just keep a look out on your check next year. if it's different that what i explained, talk to your payroll department.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">