• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage attachment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elaine60

What is the name of your state? Indiana. Ex lives in Florida always held same job. Judge has ordered a wage with holding. Does anyone know how long it takes to set one up?

Gracie3787

elaine60 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana. Ex lives in Florida always held same job. Judge has ordered a wage with holding. Does anyone know how long it takes to set one up?
Is your case being handled by CS Enforcement Agency?
If so, they will serve the Income Deduction Order (IDO) on your ex's employer. Usually the IDO states to begin withholding with the next paycheck after service.
CSE agencies usually take 1 to 3 months to even send IDO.

If CSE isn't involved, the court will issue an IDO usually attached to the CS order. You can get a certified copy of the IDO, serve it yourself by mailing to employer Certified Return Reciept. You can also do this even if CSE is involved, to speed things up.

Either way, I would say that it will take at least 1 month to begin withholding.

elaine60

My case was handled by my attorney. He went in front of the judge with my exhusbands lawyer and the judge decided that since he would not sign the papers voluntarily that he would just issue a wage withholding. That was 5 weeks ago and still have not seen or heard anything. Should I call my attorney or the support office to find out the status? I really do not want to get charged anymore by my attorney?

Gracie3787

elaine60 said:
My case was handled by my attorney. He went in front of the judge with my exhusbands lawyer and the judge decided that since he would not sign the papers voluntarily that he would just issue a wage withholding. That was 5 weeks ago and still have not seen or heard anything. Should I call my attorney or the support office to find out the status? I really do not want to get charged anymore by my attorney?

As I said, it can take quite awahile for things to get started. You can call your attorney, or the CS office. Or you can go to courthouse(if hearing was in your state) and check the file yourself to see if you can get copy of IDO.
Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">