• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage garnishment for past support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

indianroofer

What is the name of your state? Ca
I Have a wage garnishment on past support and no longer have current support
can i have the garnishment lifted and offer a lump sum???
also i live in ca but the garnishment is from Mt.
i've tryed woking with the child suport agency but they wont help at all
also i have info. that the child is not mine and the child is 18 now......

ceara19

indianroofer said:
What is the name of your state? Ca
I Have a wage garnishment on past support and no longer have current support
can i have the garnishment lifted and offer a lump sum???
also i live in ca but the garnishment is from Mt.
i've tryed woking with the child suport agency but they wont help at all
also i have info. that the child is not mine and the child is 18 now......
It depends on what you mean by make as offer. If you mean pay the total amount with interest in full, then yes, you can pay the amount and have the garnishment order. If you mean that you want to offer an amount that is LESS then the total owed, the CP would need to approve it.

indianroofer

wage garnishment for past support

Ok. do i have to work with the csed or can i work with only the cp,
can i lift the garnishment or what to do about that and what oter remidies do i have for the other item do i have a civil case to sue the real father i am positive that he knew abouthis daughter. and what about the cp

nextwife

indianroofer said:
what oter remidies do i have for the other item do i have a civil case to sue the real father
Are you the LEGAL father? If so, unless and until paternity was dis-established, you ARE the "real" father. You may or may not be the biofather. That does NOT make the CS arrearage disappear, unless your state allows paternity fraud cases AND you prove paternity fraud. If you agreed to sign a paternity acknowledgement, or were named father by default because you never showed in court to ask for a DNA test, then bioparentage is not relevant any longer.

Last edited:

NotSoNew

your pretty much screwed if your not the bio dad now.

and any lump sum payments should be made through CSE NOT through the CP.

ceara19

indianroofer said:
Ok. do i have to work with the csed or can i work with only the cp,
can i lift the garnishment or what to do about that and what oter remidies do i have for the other item do i have a civil case to sue the real father i am positive that he knew abouthis daughter. and what about the cp
CSE or a court are the only ones that can "lift the garnishment". You can try to work out a "deal" with the cp, but any agreement will still need to go through CSE for proper credit. Chances are that they will inform the CP that she is not obligated to take an amount less then the total owed.

As far as "other remedies", the other answers are correct, it's a little late in the game to make any changes to the paternity of the child. You are obviously the LEGAL father. If you weren't CSE would not be garnishing your wages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">