• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

warrant for child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

perfexion70x7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas
My husband was incarcerated this summer and owes back child support due to his incarceration. He is supposed to be released in Feb. but now the county which he owes child support in put out a warrant because he failed to appear in court for a child support hearing. What can I do so He doesn't have to go from one jail to the next. He would have appeard in court had he not been in jail. Are they allowed to issue and keep an active warrant on him when his reason for not appearing was because he was incarcerated?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zephyr

Arrangements could have been made for your husband to attend court from jail, either in person or video/audio. He needs to talk with the agency that issued the warrant and find out what he needs to do in order to get this resolved. If you are adamant about him not possibly going right back to jail, you could pay the support up to current. (but you have no legal obligation to pay your husband's cs)

perfexion70x7

Arrangements could have been made for your husband to attend court from jail, either in person or video/audio. He needs to talk with the agency that issued the warrant and find out what he needs to do in order to get this resolved. If you are adamant about him not possibly going right back to jail, you could pay the support up to current. (but you have no legal obligation to pay your husband's cs)
I would pay the support if I could but since he is in jail I am pretty much a single mom and I don't have the money. The county that has the warrant has said that they can give him a court appointed lawyer unless he is in their jail. It just doesn't seem right that they can issue a warrant when he didn't recieve a order to go to court and was unaware of his court date. Its not like they would have had trouble finding him if they would have looked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">