• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrant for not going to child support court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dawg_bite

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hello, I live in Chicago IL. And yesterday I was pulled over by suburban police and told that I had a warrant for my arrest for failure to appear in court. The officer gave me a break because I had my 4 year old son in the back seat. He told me I should handle this situation asap.

I am pretty sure this is about child support for my daughter, but I never knew I had a court date. I do not live at the same address because after I lost my job in 2006 I have been homeless and pretty much staying with different friends and relatives. My old landlord is kind enough to continue to let me use his address to receive my mail but I do not always get over there due to gas and other situations.

The officer explained that I failed to appear in court in April, it is not June. What can I do to handle this warrant? Will I have to turn myself in and go to jail?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

waitinMd

actually it is your fault for not checking your mail. You can set up a PO box for yourself. It is your responsibility to keep your address current with the court.

You should turn yourself in. The warrant is not going to go away.

Call first and find out if you have to post bail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">