• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

warrant for not paying child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yurgee

What is the name of your state?NY

My girlfriend's ex husband was the custodial parent for all three children up until a few months ago. There's too much to go into about the details but my GF now has custody and the children live with us.

My GF went to court today to have the judge set CS, but her ex did not show. He has done quite a few things (quit job, let house go into foreclosure, disconnected telephone and uses cell phone, and a few other things) to get out of paying or eluding her.

The judge issued a warrant today. My question is... if my GF knows where he is at any point, can we call the authorities and let them know where he is if we know? I am not sure is a warrant for arrest because of non child support payments works like a warrant for a criminal act or if this is considered a criminal act.

Phnx02

Yurgee said:
What is the name of your state?NY

My girlfriend's ex husband was the custodial parent for all three children up until a few months ago. There's too much to go into about the details but my GF now has custody and the children live with us.

My GF went to court today to have the judge set CS, but her ex did not show. He has done quite a few things (quit job, let house go into foreclosure, disconnected telephone and uses cell phone, and a few other things) to get out of paying or eluding her.

The judge issued a warrant today. My question is... if my GF knows where he is at any point, can we call the authorities and let them know where he is if we know? I am not sure is a warrant for arrest because of non child support payments works like a warrant for a criminal act or if this is considered a criminal act.
I am not an authority on the subject, but would think a warrant is a warrant.....no matter what it's for. And usually if a CS warrant for arrest is issued, it IS considered a criminal act and has the same seriousness as any other warrant......People get hauled off to jail all the time for a simple traffic ticket they failed to pay. If you know where he is, then call the police. The police may not consider the call as urgent as another type of call....like a burgulary in progress for example, but if they don't have another more serious call to respond to at the time, then they should promptly respond. When you call, make sure you have the warrant info at hand.....they may ask for a citation number.

TNBSMommy

I have actually done this... it took me almost a week, the reason for that is the sherriffs dept will only send someone out if there is someone available to go and they are not too busy. I told them the first time I called that "XXX" had a warrant out for his arrest, and I knew where he was.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">