• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Way back support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roadiez

What is the name of your state? kentucky

I have been divorced since March of '96.
Since then I have not seen my son. I currently owe sopprt of a good amount.
In my divorce decree I was granted joint custody.But have never been granted time to see him(Some my fault, some hers).I have when able and ordered had support taken out from my pay. She moved to Idaho from Kentucky,I was not informed of this at all.I had found out only when I recieved a letter from Idaho as they were taking support out from me.
Number 1 :Can/could she actually do this(move w/o informing me)?
Number 2 :I don't know him at all(my fault)I want to sign up rights to him...
I know I will catch flack for this. But it is best and yes I have struggled with this. I have also went to "Jail" for non-support also. If you haven't been there then don't speak out...I will take it from those who have willingly.

florida_dad

I have been doing research (my husband is kinda going through a similar thing) and from what I can find out that you can give up your rights to that child but unless someone else is willing to adopt the child and support them that you are still responsible to pay your child support.

gatorguy3

depending on the wording of your divorce paperwork, you had the right to be informed of the move away a certain amount of time previous to the move. You guys were shared legal then she had to inform you in advance otherwise she was in contempt. Not likely any judge will do anything to her after the fact but it all depends on what you wish to persue.

Giving up your rights to your child is your decision. I will never know how you feel on that issue but do it for the right reasons. Feelings are a behavior therefore they can and will change over time. Your child may not know you now but if you make an effort to be a positive part of his life then all can work out in the end. If she is coming between you and the child then most courts will not tolerate that. Consider your options--all of them.

Good luck.

Phnx02

roadiez said:
What is the name of your state? kentucky

I have been divorced since March of '96.
Since then I have not seen my son. I currently owe sopprt of a good amount.
In my divorce decree I was granted joint custody.But have never been granted time to see him(Some my fault, some hers).I have when able and ordered had support taken out from my pay. She moved to Idaho from Kentucky,I was not informed of this at all.I had found out only when I recieved a letter from Idaho as they were taking support out from me.
Number 1 :Can/could she actually do this(move w/o informing me)?
Number 2 :I don't know him at all(my fault)I want to sign up rights to him...
I know I will catch flack for this. But it is best and yes I have struggled with this. I have also went to "Jail" for non-support also. If you haven't been there then don't speak out...I will take it from those who have willingly.
Why is it really an issue that she moved out of state when you haven't been a part of your child's life or paid CS in 9 years anyways? Sounds like you could really give a hoot, but want to be told this is good reason to justify abandonment and not paying CS. Doesn't work that way. You cannot just give up your parental rights....and get out of paying CS.....because you want to. The child is your moral and finanancial responsibilty until he/she reaches 18 and able to care for himself. The only way you can be relieved of this duty is for another man to be willing to take over your responsibility thru adoption.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">