• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are we legally liable for medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djhl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My husband pays child support and has medical coverage per an order from San Bernardino County. His son lives in Arkansas. My husband and the ex have a horrible, non-communicative relationship. She is now sending tons of medical bills that she wants him to pay half of. I am wondering how obligated we are to pay them. First, I doubt she has been using the insurance or in network doctors (if she had been there would be no bill as the coverage is no deductable or copay) also, she has friends in the medical field and I don't know if these are real bills. And lastly, she wants him to pay for braces all of a sudden. She has given us three different prices and has had time to plan for it. If we had known this would be a cost we would have included it in a flex spending account. That being said, we don't know if she has been fully reimbursed through a flex spending account for any of these expenses. Any help would be great!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My husband pays child support and has medical coverage per an order from San Bernardino County. His son lives in Arkansas. My husband and the ex have a horrible, non-communicative relationship. She is now sending tons of medical bills that she wants him to pay half of. I am wondering how obligated we are to pay them. First, I doubt she has been using the insurance or in network doctors (if she had been there would be no bill as the coverage is no deductable or copay) also, she has friends in the medical field and I don't know if these are real bills. And lastly, she wants him to pay for braces all of a sudden. She has given us three different prices and has had time to plan for it. If we had known this would be a cost we would have included it in a flex spending account. That being said, we don't know if she has been fully reimbursed through a flex spending account for any of these expenses. Any help would be great!
You are under no obligation to pay for his child's expenses.

jbowman

Dad needs to look at his court order and see how medical/dental issues are addressed. If it is ordered that dad pay for 1/2 of medical expenses after insurance, then that is what dad needs to do. You need to make sure dad digs up his court order though. There may be a time limit that mom has to send the bills to dad.

As far as the bolded, it makes no difference. If she paid into the flex spending account and then used it for medical purposes, Dad still has to pay his share (if the order say he has to).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">