• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Weekly vs. Monthly Payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MikeInVa10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hi there. I am currently obligated to pay $400 a month in child support. However, I am allowed to pay on a weekly vs. monthly basis. Since there are more than 48 weeks in a year, how much would this come out to if paid weekly?

Thank you in advance for any help in this matter.

MikeWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

TinkerBelleLuvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hi there. I am currently obligated to pay $400 a month in child support. However, I am allowed to pay on a weekly vs. monthly basis. Since there are more than 48 weeks in a year, how much would this come out to if paid weekly?

Thank you in advance for any help in this matter.

MikeWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
There are two ways to handle it. You can pay $100 per week for 4 weeks each month. When there is a 5th week in the month, you have extra money.

OR

You can divide the $400 by 52 weeks and send in that amount EVERY week. This method is the one that most payroll companies use.

MikeInVa10

Thank You

Thank you very much for the advice and knowledge provided by both of you. That is what I thought, but I just wanted to be sure.

Very helpful, during a very difficult time!

Have a nice rest of your weekend.

Mike

TinkerBelleLuvr

Mike, are YOU making the payments, or is payroll taking it out?

If CSE charges you a service fee for every payment that goes in, you may want to consider making fewer, larger payments to pay the $400 each month.

Just a thought.

MikeInVa10

I was screwed by my ex and her attorney

Thank you again.

I am making the payments myself. However, she just sent me an e-mail (the only way she will communicate with me) saying that I could make monthly or even quarterly payments. Either way, it is going to be difficult for me.

At the time of our divorce, I was making a six figure income, we lived in a home that today is valued at around 800K in Potomac Falls, VA., my career was going great, and most importantly we had two beautiful children. My wife (Caroline) and I had been together for 20 years and married for 15 years.

After our daughter was born, she (like so many of her friends) decided that I no longer was needed and asked me for a separation. I only agreed because I thought we would surely work things out.

She eventually filed for divorce two years later in 2006, with me ending up signing over the house to her, giving her almost all of our savings and investments, and all the belonging in this nice house.

I took only what I could fit in my car. We each received joint legal custody, with her having primary physical custody.

Between 2006 and 2000, we spent quite a bit of time together (almost like before) and I had constant access to my children. Then, a little less that two years ago, she met another man. At this point, she began to cut off my access to my kids.

I tried to cooperate with her, hoping she would regain her sanity, but it only has gotten worse.

Then, on the day before last Thanksgiving, my wife and her attorney served me with papers mandating that I appear in court on Feb. 22 to re-visit our divorce decree, which went into effect back in 2006. My ex-wife wanted to amend the visitation schedule and change some things in the child support section.

The bottom line is that I was not able to afford an attorney. I called her attorney the day before court and we discussed a deal. We went to court the next day and her attorney told the judge that we had reached a mutually satisfying agreement, so as not to take the case before the court. My ex's attorney gave me the new decree to read and everything looked good.

However, I then found out a few days later to my horror that they had lied to me and put deceiving language in the document that supposedly allows my ex to prevent me from seeing my two children, ages 8 and 13! WTF?????????? She told me that after they turn 18, they can choose what they want to do!

She also told me that she was getting remarried and that this new guy would be their new Dad. I cannot let this stand. It almost seems that what they did was a corruption of justice, illegal, unfair and extremely hurtful for my children and me.

What can I do? Please help.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

Michael Wilson
[email protected]

divona2000

...her attorney told the judge that we had reached a mutually satisfying agreement, so as not to take the case before the court. My ex's attorney gave me the new decree to read and everything looked good.

However, I then found out a few days later to my horror that they had lied to me and put deceiving language in the document that supposedly allows my ex to prevent me from seeing my two children, ages 8 and 13! WTF?????????? She told me that after they turn 18, they can choose what they want to do!
1. Watch your language/abbreviations.
2. Remove your email address, no one here wants it, and you will just get spammed.
3. Why did the document 'look good' one day, and deceptive the next?
4. What, exactly, word for word (without the real names) does it say about your visitation?
4. Of course they can choose what they want to do after 18, the age of emancipation in Virginia is 18 years of age.

LdiJ

Thank you again.

I am making the payments myself. However, she just sent me an e-mail (the only way she will communicate with me) saying that I could make monthly or even quarterly payments. Either way, it is going to be difficult for me.

At the time of our divorce, I was making a six figure income, we lived in a home that today is valued at around 800K in Potomac Falls, VA., my career was going great, and most importantly we had two beautiful children. My wife (Caroline) and I had been together for 20 years and married for 15 years.

After our daughter was born, she (like so many of her friends) decided that I no longer was needed and asked me for a separation. I only agreed because I thought we would surely work things out.

She eventually filed for divorce two years later in 2006, with me ending up signing over the house to her, giving her almost all of our savings and investments, and all the belonging in this nice house.

I took only what I could fit in my car. We each received joint legal custody, with her having primary physical custody.

Between 2006 and 2000, we spent quite a bit of time together (almost like before) and I had constant access to my children. Then, a little less that two years ago, she met another man. At this point, she began to cut off my access to my kids.

I tried to cooperate with her, hoping she would regain her sanity, but it only has gotten worse.

Then, on the day before last Thanksgiving, my wife and her attorney served me with papers mandating that I appear in court on Feb. 22 to re-visit our divorce decree, which went into effect back in 2006. My ex-wife wanted to amend the visitation schedule and change some things in the child support section.

The bottom line is that I was not able to afford an attorney. I called her attorney the day before court and we discussed a deal. We went to court the next day and her attorney told the judge that we had reached a mutually satisfying agreement, so as not to take the case before the court. My ex's attorney gave me the new decree to read and everything looked good.

She also told me that she was getting remarried and that this new guy would be their new Dad. I cannot let this stand. It almost seems that what they did was a corruption of justice, illegal, unfair and extremely hurtful for my children and me.

What can I do? Please help.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

Michael Wilson
[email protected]
Did you thoroughly read what you signed? Take your copy of what you signed and get a consult with a local attorney. No one can help you unless they can read what you signed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">