• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Welfare // Child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aphifko

Not sure if this is the right spot. My x is about to get caught for welfare fraud. Lying to get food benifits. What are the consquences for this ? She only claimed her self to get food benifits and child support. If shes caught will this effect my custody case ? This one is actually very very easy to proof so she may get caught.
Michigan.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Not sure if this is the right spot. My x is about to get caught for welfare fraud. Lying to get food benifits. What are the consquences for this ? She only claimed her self to get food benifits and child support. If shes caught will this effect my custody case ? This one is actually very very easy to proof so she may get caught.
Michigan.
There is no way we can tell you anything except "wait and see".

Silverplum

Short of going to jail for more than a couple of months, her issue/s have nothing at all to do with custody.

I can see a potential for you to be ordered to pay more support.

Aphifko

So if shes convicted than. That would not give me more parenting time. // tempory or a change of custody is she goes to jail? Espically if shes already been slapped with warnings for contempt for violiting court orders ?

Silverplum

So if shes convicted than. That would not give me more parenting time. // tempory or a change of custody is she goes to jail? Espically if shes already been slapped with warnings for contempt for violiting court orders ?
See posts #2 and 3.

Pinkie39

The chance of her going to jail for welfare fraud for lying to recieve food stamps is extremely slim. It would have to be a case of extreme or repeated fraud.

Otherwise she'll just be made to repay the benefits or portion of the benefits for which she didn't qualify.

commentator

Agree. For a first offense welfare fraud case, a person is usually sanctioned, which means they aren't able to get benefits for a while. Hardly anyone goes to jail for food stamp fraud, or there would not be any room in the jail for all the other criminals. It sounds to me a lot like you may have reported your ex for food stamp fraud, and you are waiting anxiously for the authorities to come in and swoop her up and take her to jail so you can take the kids and forget the paying of support. Not at all sure that's going to happen, though we are much much too far away from the situation to predict anything except that I'd be willing to take odds she'll get no jail time. But how do you mean, she claimed only herself to get food benefits and child support? That makes very little sense. Not reporting that she has children would make her get less benefits than claiming herself and the children or something like that. How is child support involved? Makes it sound like you don't really understand how the program works.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
You seem almost disappointed.

Why is that?

Aphifko

I understand stand how the program works. Its the fact she lives in a mansion with at least two people who are extremly wealthy. Im not dissapointed about anything. Its the fact she lives in a mansion and claims they need this when in fact they clealry do not. I see how much they spend each week. Its well over the 400 a month they get. Realistically they do not qualify. It makes me angry more than anything.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I understand stand how the program works. Its the fact she lives in a mansion with at least two people who are extremly wealthy. Im not dissapointed about anything. Its the fact she lives in a mansion and claims they need this when in fact they clealry do not. I see how much they spend each week. Its well over the 400 a month they get. Realistically they do not qualify. It makes me angry more than anything.
Your anger and bitterness will not benefit your child/ren in any way, shape or form.

Frankly, neither of you are particularly impressive as parents.

Aphifko

You actually have the wrong imprissions of impressevie. First off we have to pay for those benifits. You guys should be angry about it to. My support is paid in full. Its always paid in full. I moved across state by 4 hours. Established work to suit my childs needs. So do not tell me whats impressive and whats not. I came here looking too see what would happen. I got the answer I needed. They will probally pay it back in full as they have the money to do so. Thanks. !

CourtClerk

If she's not married to anyone in the mansion or owns the mansion, then she is a single woman entitled to benefits that single people are eligible for. You're not disqualified for having roommates.

Silverplum

You actually have the wrong imprissions of impressevie. First off we have to pay for those benifits. You guys should be angry about it to. My support is paid in full. Its always paid in full. I moved across state by 4 hours. Established work to suit my childs needs. So do not tell me whats impressive and whats not. I came here looking too see what would happen. I got the answer I needed. They will probally pay it back in full as they have the money to do so. Thanks. !
IMO, it's an enormous mistake to move so far away from your child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">