• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this welfare fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StevensMommy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina is where this is happening.

My husband's first wife (even though her kids with him are grown) keeps trying to take out back child support orders to the tune of $800 a month. This would only be a years worth of payments, but he cannot afford that. The girls will be 22 in April. He and I have a disabled son together. The problem is, while legal separation with child support in place is a thing in NC, VA (where we used to live) and in UT (where we live now, they know my situation and have no issues with it since the divorce is pending)....this woman never reported the money she got from him outside of child support payments. And she got them, 85% of the time. Yet would go to his bank at midnight when he got paid, and empty his account often. My husband thinks that if he so much as calls the child support office, that they're going to arrest him. I've finally gotten him to see that this isn't the case.

My husband isn't the type to skip out on child support, he's just had periods of time where he wasn't working (his own fault, not defending him). I actually took him out of Virginia's system (we had a long domestic violence issue, it's resolved, we co-parent because I'm ill and our son needs both parents in the house...divorce still going through, agreed on both sides). He's never had a problem getting what his children need. The thing is, this woman wants her income free to just live large, and I actually took the money I got to pay for our son's needs. My husband has seen that. Everything in this house is geared to my son's comfort. Everything. He eats before me, he gets new shoes and clothes before me. What do I need new stuff for, when I'm home bound? I flew my husband out here, because my health problems are increasing. I may have cancer. If I do, it's well progressed. I need to prepare him for what's coming, and him struggling to afford to live because this chick is greedy...

My husband didn't divorce this woman until 2011. She refused to pay for the divorce, and he couldn't afford to because he was too busy paying for her expenses. Our marital issues came from his unresolved anger over this, and much more. She never reported that income that she was taking, and collected medicaid, SNAP, was on section 8 (and still is). He is a vet, and at one point she had a military power of attorney (deployment orders) and took out everything in his name, so when she didn't want to pay for anything, her credit wasn't affected. She's scum.

She knows my son's autistic, and that we have to pay out of pocket for his insurance and everything else. I'm pulling the divorce decree and getting my husband to go down to the bank and see if they have any sort of archive we can use if we do have a case. At the very most, that twat should be getting $200 a month (or less) because even though I took my husband out of Virginia's system, he still has arrears from a period of unemployment (18 months, economy...) when I had no financial support at all. I'm disabled, and during that time I was still waiting for my hearing. Even Virginia isn't trying to take more than $100 a month from him. His arrears will come to me in future, through income tax garnishment. Neither of us is worried about that stuff. We're just tired of this woman's machinations.

Utah is very good at catching up with non-custodial parents, and we have a move to make next year. All of us. My husband and I have decided that for as long as our son needs, we will house share. I'm usually too sick or weak to do it all on my own, and kiddo needs his dad.

If we can prove she's been accessing income she didn't report, not to mention was still married to this man, do we have a case? I'm sick of her greed. Next she'll be saying that the one minor child she has left is my husband's just because she doesn't want to work. I want her working for ten cents an hour, sewing panties.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Wow, a lot of fluff in that...

I don't see that there was any unreported income, although you sure want to make a case of it. I don't know what you think the bank can show you (or him) - not that they would anyway.

I don't see that your husband has any grounds to have the past-due child support amount lowered, but he should seek a consultation with an attorney for a full review of the facts.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina is where this is happening.

My husband's first wife (even though her kids with him are grown) keeps trying to take out back child support orders to the tune of $800 a month. This would only be a years worth of payments, but he cannot afford that. The girls will be 22 in April. He and I have a disabled son together. The problem is, while legal separation with child support in place is a thing in NC, VA (where we used to live) and in UT (where we live now, they know my situation and have no issues with it since the divorce is pending)....this woman never reported the money she got from him outside of child support payments. And she got them, 85% of the time. Yet would go to his bank at midnight when he got paid, and empty his account often. My husband thinks that if he so much as calls the child support office, that they're going to arrest him. I've finally gotten him to see that this isn't the case.

My husband isn't the type to skip out on child support, he's just had periods of time where he wasn't working (his own fault, not defending him). I actually took him out of Virginia's system (we had a long domestic violence issue, it's resolved, we co-parent because I'm ill and our son needs both parents in the house...divorce still going through, agreed on both sides). He's never had a problem getting what his children need. The thing is, this woman wants her income free to just live large, and I actually took the money I got to pay for our son's needs. My husband has seen that. Everything in this house is geared to my son's comfort. Everything. He eats before me, he gets new shoes and clothes before me. What do I need new stuff for, when I'm home bound? I flew my husband out here, because my health problems are increasing. I may have cancer. If I do, it's well progressed. I need to prepare him for what's coming, and him struggling to afford to live because this chick is greedy...

My husband didn't divorce this woman until 2011. She refused to pay for the divorce, and he couldn't afford to because he was too busy paying for her expenses. Our marital issues came from his unresolved anger over this, and much more. She never reported that income that she was taking, and collected medicaid, SNAP, was on section 8 (and still is). He is a vet, and at one point she had a military power of attorney (deployment orders) and took out everything in his name, so when she didn't want to pay for anything, her credit wasn't affected. She's scum.

She knows my son's autistic, and that we have to pay out of pocket for his insurance and everything else. I'm pulling the divorce decree and getting my husband to go down to the bank and see if they have any sort of archive we can use if we do have a case. At the very most, that twat should be getting $200 a month (or less) because even though I took my husband out of Virginia's system, he still has arrears from a period of unemployment (18 months, economy...) when I had no financial support at all. I'm disabled, and during that time I was still waiting for my hearing. Even Virginia isn't trying to take more than $100 a month from him. His arrears will come to me in future, through income tax garnishment. Neither of us is worried about that stuff. We're just tired of this woman's machinations.

Utah is very good at catching up with non-custodial parents, and we have a move to make next year. All of us. My husband and I have decided that for as long as our son needs, we will house share. I'm usually too sick or weak to do it all on my own, and kiddo needs his dad.

If we can prove she's been accessing income she didn't report, not to mention was still married to this man, do we have a case? I'm sick of her greed. Next she'll be saying that the one minor child she has left is my husband's just because she doesn't want to work. I want her working for ten cents an hour, sewing panties.

Oh, this is quotalicious.

Now. Could you perhaps explain why:

1. Your disabled son is her problem and
2. Why it's HER fault that your husband didn't pay child support as ordered?

Tell you what. Given that this is absolutely NONE of your legal business, how about you have your husband sign on with his own account? I have a few things to ask HIM .. because you're going to hurt him more than you could ever understand.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
(That's assuming that this isn't actually Mom writing to see just how insane her ex's dear wife sounds ... which would make far more sense ;) :cool: )

StevensMommy

Wow, a lot of fluff in that...

I don't see that there was any unreported income, although you sure want to make a case of it. I don't know what you think the bank can show you (or him) - not that they would anyway.

I don't see that your husband has any grounds to have the past-due child support amount lowered, but he should seek a consultation with an attorney for a full review of the facts.
LOL

Welp, I've already talked to NC, to their program integrity line, told them the same thing here, and THEY say it's fishy. I'm just gathering information. I think you managed to not be able to read through the fluff, but thank you for responding so quickly!

Also, when there is a disabled minor child in the home, that is grounds. Sorry. We had it done before. Lawyer on that end will be retained in the new year to motion for a reduction. Since his daughters are no longer minors and all. Sorry that you missed all that pertinent information. But thanks, I've reached out to multiple sources who don't agree with you.

Not sure if you are a lawyer or just someone with an agenda, but don't use emotions to pass forth misinformation. Later!

StevensMommy

Oh, this is quotalicious.

Now. Could you perhaps explain why:

1. Your disabled son is her problem and
2. Why it's HER fault that your husband didn't pay child support as ordered?

Tell you what. Given that this is absolutely NONE of your legal business, how about you have your husband sign on with his own account? I have a few things to ask HIM .. because you're going to hurt him more than you could ever understand.
Oh lord...mens rights activists.

Thanks, guys. I'm not the first wife trying to figure out what the husband can do, I'm the second (soon to be ex) wife, trying to make sure that my son can eat. He's not her problem, but he does take legal precedence, which is why my husband isn't being asked to pay $1500 a month for grown children.

I'll pay to talk to actual lawyers next time. I thought there were lawyers here, not trolls.

Silverplum

LOL

Welp, I've already talked to NC, to their program integrity line, told them the same thing here, and THEY say it's fishy. I'm just gathering information. I think you managed to not be able to read through the fluff, but thank you for responding so quickly!

Also, when there is a disabled minor child in the home, that is grounds. Sorry. We had it done before. Lawyer on that end will be retained in the new year to motion for a reduction. Since his daughters are no longer minors and all. Sorry that you missed all that pertinent information. But thanks, I've reached out to multiple sources who don't agree with you.

Not sure if you are a lawyer or just someone with an agenda, but don't use emotions to pass forth misinformation. Later!
Hello, OG Effect. :cool: :p

ETA: Is 19 minutes a record?

Last edited:

Silverplum

Thanks, guys. I'm not the first wife trying to figure out what the husband can do, I'm the second (soon to be ex) wife, trying to make sure that my son can eat. He's not her problem, but he does take legal precedence, which is why my husband isn't being asked to pay $1500 a month for grown children.

I'll pay to talk to actual lawyers next time. I thought there were lawyers here, not trolls.
Have a nice day!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He's not her problem, but he does take legal precedence, which is why my husband isn't being asked to pay $1500 a month for grown children.
He's not paying anything for grown children. He's paying back what he couldn't be bothered to pay when the children were younger.

Best of luck to ya.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess

Now you're boring me. That's a sin.

LdiJ

Your husband is being asked to pay the arrears that he owes to his first wife. Its typical, when the children age out of child support, that if the paying parent has arrears, that they continue to pay the full amount that they paid for support, until the arrears are completely paid off. There is nothing wrong or unfair about that.

However, your original post was all over the place therefore its not very clear exactly what is going on and exactly what it is you want to accomplish. Your husband owes the arrears. He has to pay them.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
He's not paying anything for grown children. He's paying back what he couldn't be bothered to pay when the children were younger.

Best of luck to ya.
(psst ... she doesn't understand what 'legal precedence" means either ... ;) )

commentator

Quote: I've already talked to NC, to their program integrity line, told them the same thing here, and THEY say it's fishy. I'm just gathering information. I think you managed to not be able to read through the fluff, but thank you for responding so quickly!

This bolded is utter bull. The state's fraud hotlines where you would report welfare fraud will never agree with you that it sounds fishy and they're gonna throw the book at her, or ask you to gather information for them, regardless of what you may have thought you heard, and will never give you follow up information, and they've either examined this case or not, but either way, you will NOT hear whether or not the ex is actually discovered to have committed welfare fraud. EVER.

And they darn sure aren't going to give any public assistance monies she received based on fraud back to your soon to be ex husband. He gave her money, and he didn't overpay his child support because he was too darn dumb to report the money and repay it through the legitimate channels to get it credited as actual child support. Can we say you may be a little bit bitter? How in the heck could ex wife since 2011 get money out of his bank account without his consent without it going through the courts? Hogwash. What kind of case could you possibly have, based on old bank records? You're typing and smoking something and telling yourself little stories, trying to save your marriage by blaming someone else for the whole situation. Good luck paying an attorney to get your great revenge when you are too poor to pay attention, according to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">