• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what about college?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackzac

What is the name of your state? INDIANA

I have an old support order from 1994, my ex-husband was granted custody of our daughter, and I was ordered to pay $103 a week. This order has her live with him during the school year, and I pay, then she lives with me during the summer and he pays me $65 a week. This has been the norm for 12 years. She turned 18 this year, and will be graduating in May. She has won a terrific scholarship to pay 1/2 of her tuition at college. She will be living with me while she goes to college (I live a couple blocks from campus and her dad lives in another town about 15 miles away).Will I still be obligated to pay him support while she lives with me? I think that I'm contributing the room & board part, so if he will pay the tuition, approx $3500 (after her scholarship) could we just end the support order? Do we have to address the custody issue, or does that matter now that she's already 18? Nothing specific in the original order, the judge(now retired) is the one that came up with the split year thing)

jackzac

The order doesn't say anything about college. The judge made up the whole thing without any input from me or the dad. This has been such a pain all these years, the child support office has to manually change the payee/payor info each time school starts or stops. I found this out one spring when I got a letter saying I was behind by about $6,000!! Turns out they hadn't turned off my obligation for the summer months for 9 or 10 years. They had to re-figure everything by getting the school calendar from the school system. What a mess!

BelizeBreeze

Based on the Indiana statutes support continues until the age of 21 if the child is pursuing a post-secondary education.

In your case, you need to file a motion to modify.

mom428

Cost Calculator

Here's a link to the Indiana Child support calculator, it also takes into consideration all the college expenses and will list what portion each parent should pay based on where the child will be living. This will give you an idea of your share of the costs.

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/childsupport/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">