• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is considered part of child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iktmonty

What is the name of your state? NH

What is considered part of child support?
Example: school supplies, including back pack, note books, binders etc.? Clothes? Co-pays for medical (it is ordered that "uninsured" medical is split 50/50)? Glasses? Extra-curricular activities costs? etc.???

Does any or all of this fall under what is given for child support?

Obviously, roof over head and food are included but how far can the ex-spouse go to collect additional money besides the ordered child support for a bunch of miscellaneous items?

Thanks for your help!

CourtClerk

how far can the ex-spouse go to collect additional money besides the ordered child support for a bunch of miscellaneous items?
As far as the courts will allow them to go.

As for copays, I'm almost sure it probably said "unreimbursed" medical, not uninsured medical, in which, copays, if they are not reimbursed by the medical insurance company need to be split 50/50 also.

Isis1

the child support payer is only obligated to pay what states in a court order. anything given outside the court order is a gift.

some court orders can include the extra costs of medical, dental and vision costs in addition if they are not covered by an insurance company, some order can include half the costs of school tuitions, extra activities such as sports, tutoring and such forth.

the CP can demand payment of things not covered in the child support order all they want, but the payer has absolutely no legal obligation to pay it.

Last edited:

iktmonty

It actually does say "uninsured medical expenses" on the court order....
There is nothing else with the exception of college and we are "each to pay with the best of our ability". It says nothing about paying anything else or spliting the cost of anything else....

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I get the impression your are the payer of CS and not the receiver.
Look, CS payments are not allocated to various things. You can't say "ok, $10 is for books, $20 is for meals" etc.

iktmonty

yes, I am the payer. I don't have a problem paying it. I just don't know where I should draw the line. Money doesn't grow on trees and you can't pull blood from a stone, however, sometimes, I feel that is what I'm expected to do. Am I expected to pay all of or half of all clothes bought over the year, school supplies, sports, lessons, etc.??? I thought that was the reason for child support?

milspecgirl

certainly not. you need clothes, etc at your place too. 1/2 the unreimbursed medical, dental, vision, yes- you should pay. clothes, school supplies- no. expensive extra curricular- your call. We split expensive stuff like cheerleading, football- things that cost 500 a semester type of thing. Soccer that is 30 for the season- cp pays if they want to sign them up. pay what is court ordered and what you can for your child, but do not to give in to every single thing the cp demands $ for.
Oh- We are cp and ncp in this house so I know both sides of the coin

haiku

unless otherwise spelled out in your court order, child support is supposed to cover all the things you have mentioned in your posts..

If the split is 50/50 on medical, you pay 50% of all uninsured medical bills...

iktmonty

Thanks everyone.
I do have to buy clothes for my house as well. During the school year he doesn't need as much because I have him every other weekend from Friday after school until Monday morning (or Tuesday if there is no school on those Mondays for whatever reason), and every Wednesday into Thursday, then we split school vacations. However, during the summer I have him every other week. I told this year I should start helping with the cost of clothing for cp house, help with school supplies etc. (all of which I have but can't always every year). But I really thought that was supposed to be part of the support I pay every week. I provided guitar lessons, paying the full amount (over $1000 a yr) however, I was also told during an "agrument" over money that I didn't help pay for the $40 baseball season or buy cleats, etc.....
On the medical expenses, would you consider deductables/co-pays "uninsured" medical?
I'm also being expected to pay a late fee on a balance that I wasn't told about until after 30 days past due.... do you think that's right? I'm thinking it's not myself but I want to see if I'm just being an "as*&^%" as I was called.

peppier

Legally, you are obligated to pay the amount of child support that is ordered by the court and the uninsured portion of the medical bills and that is it. The other parent is obligated to provide for the child also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">