• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what is the difference between split and shared

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? va

My mediator used the wrong term in our petition. Can anyone help me find the guidelines for support calculations regarding custody in VA.

Also what is the statutory definition of a day when it comes to visitation?

CourtClerk

Shared Custody.... Both parents share in the custody of the child/children. They are here part of the week, there the other part sometimes, but they decide together about important legal matters. School, healthcare, education, etc. See joint custody.

Split Custody... 2 kids. Mom gets 1, Dad gets 1.

I tried to simplify it the best way I know how.

CS guidelines and statutory definitions may be able to be found if you google Virginia Family Code.

Last edited:

BL

What is the name of your state? va

My mediator used the wrong term in our petition. Can anyone help me find the guidelines for support calculations regarding custody in VA.

Also what is the statutory definition of a day when it comes to visitation?

“Shared Custody” and “Split Custody”
Split Custody (Separation of Siblings): Divorcing parents with more than one child sometimes hit upon the idea that the kids should be divided between the parents. Typically they settle on a "boys-go-with-Dad-and-girls-go-with-Mom" arrangement, but that is not always the case.1 Courts generally frown on such arrangements but will often tolerate them where the parents agree and there seems to be some basis for separating the siblings. Regardless of how siblings may be separated, a determination of "custody;" that is, decision-making power-for each child must be made.2

Shared Custody: The term "shared custody" refers to a parenting schedule rather than decision-making power. Shared custody may work in some joint custody situations. Shared custody creates a situation where the child spends equal (or close to equal) blocks of time alternating back-and-forth between the parents. Such an arrangement can often work well in a one-week-here-then-one-week-there scenario. Even two-week cycles can serve the needs of parents and children and can facilitate good, solid, stable family relationships. Our experience, however, is that beyond two-week cycles things seem to begin to deteriorate. It seems that with longer durations, children begin to acclimate to arrangements, rules, habits, schedules, etc. at one household and then must reorganize their lives with every transition. We've seen couples try a one-month-with-Mom-and-then-one-month-with-Dad arrangement and even six-months-and-six-months. Those situations almost always lead to disaster. If you're contemplating such an arrangement, be careful and work closely with a knowledgeable attorney and the advice of a good mental health care professional.

Thanks.

We don't have equal time. I have primary and he has them at least 91 days of the year.
I still want equal decision making rights for him though.

CourtClerk

Thanks.

We don't have equal time. I have primary and he has them at least 91 days of the year.
I still want equal decision making rights for him though.
What you are describing you want is (I guess what they call in your state) shared custody. Most of us call it joint legal custody which basically gives him equal rights in making decisions, etc. So if your state calls it "shared," that's what you want.

Thank you! I also googled for calculations but didn't find one for shared. But I think we will be ok. He will just have to deal with it now.

Virginia defines a day as a period of 24 hours; however, if the parent with less visitation days has the child for less than 24 hours and overnight, they are credited with a half day. So basically, wherever the child sleeps, that parent gets credit for half a day.

Technically split custody is when each parent has PHYSICAL custody of at least one child. Shared custody is when each parent has at least 90 days of the year. The split custody worksheet actually calculates the support due each parent for the number of custodial children and then nets it. The shared custody worksheet calculates the support due each parent based on the percentage of visitation time (at least 90 days) and then nets the two. Each parent MUST have each child at least 90 days in order to use the shared custody worksheet.

All child support calculation worksheets can be found here:

http://www.courts.state.va.us/forms/district/jdrcourt.html

Good Luck :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">