• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NY

I have a support order in NY, its supposed to be garnished from his pay. The company was sent 3 IE notices (one before he went on comp-then 2 after he went back to work)finally support unit case worker called them and asked what was up- the guy said ex said he was sending payments himself-case worker told him no you need to garnish it and we didnt get any payments. So they said they would. I received 1 payment on June 12th. A second one on June 21st. That was it. The order is for every week.

Now I havent received anything in 2 weeks, so something is up.

How long in between do they have to send the money. I mean he "could" have quit this job, who knows but I really dont trust this company they have been giving case worker many probs and the case worker is ready to send papers from legal dept to the employer.

Momto1yrold said:

I have a support order in NY, its supposed to be garnished from his pay. The company was sent 3 IE notices (one before he went on comp-then 2 after he went back to work)finally support unit case worker called them and asked what was up- the guy said ex said he was sending payments himself-case worker told him no you need to garnish it and we didnt get any payments. So they said they would. I received 1 payment on June 12th. A second one on June 21st. That was it. The order is for every week.

How long in between do they have to send the money. I mean he "could" have quit this job, who knows but I really dont trust this company they have been giving case worker many probs and the case worker is ready to send papers from legal dept to the employer.
Possibly he quit? Did you call to see if he is still working there? It's almost a month late and it shouldn't have taken that long to receive your checks. I am in NY as well and my ex is garnished. When I didn't receive checks it was because he wasn't working. And when I was receiving checks biweekly it was because he'd started a new job which ran payroll every two wks.

ceara19

saintkbsmom67 said:
Possibly he quit? Did you call to see if he is still working there? It's almost a month late and it shouldn't have taken that long to receive your checks. I am in NY as well and my ex is garnished. When I didn't receive checks it was because he wasn't working. And when I was receiving checks biweekly it was because he'd started a new job which ran payroll every two wks.
The employer won't confirm if he still works there or not. CSE isn't going to do an awful lot until the CS goes unpaid for a few months other then sending him a reminder invoice. She can call CSE and ask them to call the employer.

GrowUp!

Momto1yrold said:

Just because he gets paid weekly does NOT mean that is how the employer dispurses it to the CSEA. They might do it every other week or once a month. When it comes to "trust", the CSEA has no room to start pointing fingers at other parties.

saintkbsmom67 said:
Thank you for replying. No I havent called. I let the case worker handle it becasue if I did call he would get me for harassment hes tried this before even wehn I wasnt calling.
He could have quit, I was just questioning the timing in between the checks because employer sent one 10 days later. His previous job before this one was every week on time all the time. I know it wont happen all the time like that.

GrowUp! said:
Just because he gets paid weekly does NOT mean that is how the employer dispurses it to the CSEA. They might do it every other week or once a month. When it comes to "trust", the CSEA has no room to start pointing fingers at other parties.
This is what im asking what are teh time limits etc. This employer has been giving support unit problems since Feb/March. First the unit sent 2 IE's they didnt receive them. Then I got the EXACT address off the paystub, they sent first one in March. They didnt respond. Unit gave another chance (something about the law etc). Didnt respond either. So the case worker asked if I had the phone number, he called them the people(who I have no idea) said he was out and trying to get workmans comp but they will hold it for when he comes back.

They wait we go to court in end of April. Ex said he went back to work that week. I called case worker told him. Ok we waited 2 weeks+ no payments. It was getting ridiculous and was over $3,000 behind. So he sent notices they were going to suspend license and sent ANOTHER IE notice to this job in beg of May waited 30 days no reply. Called them in June tehy said oh we lost the papers and the payroll lady is out til Friday. He calls back ok that Ex said he was sending the payments himself for several weeks. Caseworker says no you need to garnish it we received nothing. Then 7 days later a payment. Then 9 or 10 days later another payment. NOw nothing. They have been giving problems for long time now.

The thing with the employer is his paystub doesnt list number of hours and is salary at $300 a wk for a drivers assistant. Just too weird to get $300 salaried a wk. Probably could happen but even my lawyer and case worker thinks its odd.

Last edited:

BL

So CS EU let him keep his license with 3 grand in arrears ?
If they haven't been suspended another notice of suspension sounds like it's in order .

Who knows maybe they were suspended .

CandiceH

I agree with BL. NY has specific guidelines into timeframes (I believe the employer must take the first garnishment within four weeks of the IE) - your caseworker would have this info. Obviously, you have an account set up with CSEU and the employer must comply but you dont know for sure if he is even still working. Let CSEU do their job. I know that it is frustrating but if you keep calling and keep your case in the forefront it may work out quickly. Since he is $3K in arrears, like BL said, his license could already be suspended, if not, it could be soon.

My ex is $5K in arrears (we are going back to court July 17). He fought the change of payee and doesnt want CSEU to handle the support. We have been battling this since December. His attorney is trying to force me to take a "direct" garnishment, supposably for the betterment of MYSELF - LMAO. If I do that, I would have to go back to court AGAIN should he quit/lose his job and I dont want that. Trust CSEU as much as you can, I know it is hard but NY is pretty good about keeping up with cases most of the time. Keep on top of the situation and hope for the best. Your best bet is not to count on the support and try to budget without it. It is going to be a long battle.

Blonde Lebinese said:
If they haven't been suspended another notice of suspension sounds like it's in order .

No it wasnt suspended because in Middle of June he had almost $2,000 of it "erased" or subtracted because we went through a support modification and he was allowed to pay $25 a month for about 3 months that had already passed. But hes still $1,300+ behind in arrear. I asked if I had to wait another 4 months to get that far and the case worker said no. But case worker is calling employer today to see whats going on. He did say it shouldnt take 14+ days to get a payment here even with yesterday being a holiday. If I dont have a payment tomorrow in the system he told me to call him again tomorrow.

CandiceH said:
My ex is $5K in arrears (we are going back to court July 17). He fought the change of payee and doesnt want CSEU to handle the support. We have been battling this since December. His attorney is trying to force me to take a "direct" garnishment, supposably for the betterment of MYSELF - LMAO. If I do that, I would have to go back to court AGAIN should he quit/lose his job and I dont want that. Trust CSEU as much as you can, I know it is hard but NY is pretty good about keeping up with cases most of the time. Keep on top of the situation and hope for the best. Your best bet is not to count on the support and try to budget without it. It is going to be a long battle.
The case worker said they give the employer 30 days to garnish but the guy said something about they have to give them a chance and send another one in case they didnt receive it or etc. The first IE was sent in March (and how do you "lose" the papers, i smell BS). Then they believed him that he was sending payments himself. It says on the ny site that im sure is included in the IE papers that they are supposed to garnish until hearing otherwise from CSEU. After what I went through I dont trust him or anyone involved with him.

I was curious about the time the employer has to send it. My case worker has been great so far but they havent suspended the license, im sure my ex will come up with another lie. I truly think ex knows the employer maybe coowner or something. Hes highly qualified for Project Manager and construction and hes only making $300 salary as a drivers assistant @@. Thats not my problem anyway but I will never see any of the arrears. He doesnt file taxes too often so I wont get that esp after last yr of me getting the $300 refund. He filed his taxes and only on Jan 16, 2006 just a week before court.

Im really not whining and I know a lot of people have the same problems as me. I was just curious how it worked and if its normal to get a payment 9 days later and then the next one more than 2 weeks later. Like I said in the top part the previous job he had it was same time every week. I know not to depend on it already after him not paying most of the time from Dec to June (a total of 3 payments) I got along fine for that 6 months. But its still aggravating and I am trying to find out how this is supposed to work. I do appreciate everyones replies.

Also another thing is the license suspension there are "steps" the case worker said. First step they send to him and only him warning him to pay or what will happen. Then second step is sending to him and the DMV. It made it to the second step I guess and havent heard anything since. The guy said someone else used to handle that job but now the caseworkers are doing it so hes not positive about that yet.

Last edited:

nextwife

"The thing with the employer is his paystub doesnt list number of hours and is salary at $300 a wk for a drivers assistant. Just too weird to get $300 salaried a wk."

Blonde Lebinese said:

Sounds as though his job IS DRIVING. Maybe CSE figured that preventing him from working would be counterproductive.

nextwife said:
"The thing with the employer is his paystub doesnt list number of hours and is salary at $300 a wk for a drivers assistant. Just too weird to get $300 salaried a wk."

Sounds as though his job IS DRIVING. Maybe CSE figured that preventing him from working would be counterproductive.
The case worker knows he drives as a job and was still sending the warnings so I dont think thats the case. And case worker said he (my ex) was to call and work out a payment plan or agree to pay so much etc in order to save his license. He called but to tell him he was out of work and he was getting comp (still had to wait more than a month to get that garnishment from comp started- which was only 2 payments-which is 2 of the 3 payments that was made for those 6 months- he received more but didnt send payments on his own) never even mentioning the license. I asked case worker if he said anything about the license suspension and he said no and he didnt ask him and he will let it takes its course, so I dont think the guy was trying to save his license. The guy is seeing the crap himself first hand. Employer and ex are lying to him and hes not happy.

Like I said was before he had $2,000 of arrears subtracted So maybe that prevented them from doing so I have no idea- I havent asked since the garnishment started but they are still having problems with the employer.

I dont care if he loses his license if they suspend it he will pay I know-call me heartless etc but they should do whatever it takes to get him to pay. Hes the heartless one by not taking care of his responsibility, its not like I could call him and ask if he could buy her diapers or food-cause then Id be in jail for harassment. I wish the relationship could be like that (i admire parents who can work together) but unfortunately to protect myself and not put myself in a vulnerable position this is how it has to be.

He needs his license to support his wife and his 4 step kids. He would make more working in his normal field construction/carpentry etc. And it was stated in court that there are jobs in those fields available even for his experience with project manager in his area of location. He should however do whatever it takes to keep his license to support his family at home. License=job=money for wife and step kids. Lose license what then? may not pay support but he will lose his house and have no money for family at home (which is whats mostly important to him so I highly doubt it would go that far or be suspended for long).

Last edited:
ceara19 said:
The employer won't confirm if he still works there or not. CSE isn't going to do an awful lot until the CS goes unpaid for a few months other then sending him a reminder invoice. She can call CSE and ask them to call the employer.
I didn't mean for her to speak with him nor ask if he still worked there. Just asking for him may have gotten her some information like "oh he no longer works here" or "oh, he's on vacation" kind of thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">