• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What does child support cover?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmeck

Ohio

My husband pays child support to his ex for a child they had. And she stills asks for money for things every couple of weeks. I have tried to find out what child support is suppose to cover so, we know if we should give her more money but I can't see to find anything to tell me this! It seems that everything I find is for the parents trying to collect support. Can anyone help us out? We are getting really tired of her asking for money all the time!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
CS is the NCP's portion of the expenses of the child, including housing, food, clothing and so on. Unless the order specifies that he is to pay for additional stuff (school gear, extracurriculars, etc), he is under no obligation to provide extra money when she asks.

Zephyr

maybe the next time mom asks for money dad should suggest he take kiddo shopping for the (shoes, supplies. etc.) that may be needed. Then kiddo doesn't go without but dad is not giving extra money to mom.

B

betterthanher

kmeck said:
Ohio

My husband pays child support to his ex for a child they had. And she stills asks for money for things every couple of weeks. I have tried to find out what child support is suppose to cover so, we know if we should give her more money but I can't see to find anything to tell me this! It seems that everything I find is for the parents trying to collect support. Can anyone help us out? We are getting really tired of her asking for money all the time!
DO NOT GIVE THE MOM EXTRA MONEY!!! You are under no legal obligation to do so. She is obviously not holding up her end of the financial responsibility and/or thinks the NCP is supposed to do all the supporting.

Stealth stated what the cs is supposed to go to. I suggest you ask her exactly what she is spending the child support (emphasize 'child' support) on. I'd also start logging every single call and request she makes in detail (time/date and extent of request). While there isn't anything on the books in Ohio regarding accountability for how support is spent, if she continues this behavior, you could always use it against her when it's time for any support modification and possibly make a request that the CP is to document how the support is being spent.

Zephyr

betterthanher said:
DO NOT GIVE THE MOM EXTRA MONEY!!! You are under no legal obligation to do so. She is obviously not holding up her end of the financial responsibility and/or thinks the NCP is supposed to do all the supporting.

Stealth stated what the cs is supposed to go to. I suggest you ask her exactly what she is spending the child support (emphasize 'child' support) on. I'd also start logging every single call and request she makes in detail (time/date and extent of request). While there isn't anything on the books in Ohio regarding accountability for how support is spent, if she continues this behavior, you could always use it against her when it's time for any support modification and possibly make a request that the CP is to document how the support is being spent.

I don't think any of that would fly, dad should not give mom extra money, if he does he should send it through child support so he is "paid in advance". document mom's constant requests for money "may" end up backfiring and resulting in an increase in cs. dad should make sure child has the things he needs and not give mom more money. It may not be totally fair to dad tht he should buy another pair of shoes when he already pays support, but at least this way he knows the kid got the shoes.

ablessin

Unfortunaly, there is NOTHING in print on what the CS payments are FOR.

Well, let me re-phrase that...... they are supposed to be for clothing, shoes, food, etc.

Now, what it's actually USED for, that is an entire separate story.
From what I see - personally - the mom uses it for going out money, getting McDonalds because she doesn't "feel" like cooking, her new car..

Then, she has the guts to ask him to buy new bookbags this year!!! he said no, that is what child support is for. Meanwhile, my guy struggles to pay his car payment she gets so much!

Any monies given to her outside of the mandated CS payment - is a GIFT.
Tell your man that.
It would be nice if she had to document what she spends the $$ on... I can guarantee there would be NO increase in payments. She blows it and we all know it, and so do you.
I am sorry - I know exactly where you are coming from and I have a pretty good idea how you feel.
It's really frustrating.

Zephyr

Well, let me re-phrase that...... they are supposed to be for clothing, shoes, food, etc.
From what I see - personally - the mom uses it for going out money, getting McDonalds because she doesn't "feel" like cooking, her new car..

ok, child support is also for the child's housing, utilities, transportation etc. etc.etc.

and let's be clear mom is not required to cash the cs check and walk that same money to each of the different bill holders and pay the child's portion, no mom has to pay the bill no matter if cs is paid or not, so even if she does cash her cs check and take that same money and go out to dinner with her girlfriend's, that is ok, it's still HER money.

oh and no ncp ever gets the kid fast food on the visits :rolleyes:

the poison that is apparent in these types of posts is sickening, walk a mile in their shoes( on both sides) before saying they are horrible.

ablessin

no, actually, we DON'T take the kids for fast food. Because WE CAN'T AFFORD IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE gets all his money!!!!! HE barely has enough lef to cover his car payment!!! to get back and forth to work so that he can fork half - YES HALF his check over to her!!!!

Not to mention that fast food 4 or 5 times a week is very unhealthy, and I have told him numerous times, they are going to have heart attacks by the time they are 18. High cholesterol runs in their family...... she is setting the kids up for numerous health problems, - - not to mention obesity.

Then, she has the BALLS to ask for more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is not HER money, it is for the kids!!!!!!! For clothing for them, etc...... SOME of the mom's live WELL above their means because they get so much for CS.

I don't need to walk a mile in any ones shoes...... I have my own and I don't get CS - I have not gotten ONE penny from my son's father from day we separated................ I did fine without it. SOME of these moms are just out to put the screws to the dads.

I SAY SOME because I know that they are not ALL like that.
I don't want to offend those of you who are not, and you know who you are.

brisgirl825

ablessin said:
no, actually, we DON'T take the kids for fast food. Because WE CAN'T AFFORD IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE gets all his money!!!!! HE barely has enough lef to cover his car payment!!! to get back and forth to work so that he can fork half - YES HALF his check over to her!!!!

Not to mention that fast food 4 or 5 times a week is very unhealthy, and I have told him numerous times, they are going to have heart attacks by the time they are 18. High cholesterol runs in their family...... she is setting the kids up for numerous health problems, - - not to mention obesity.

Then, she has the BALLS to ask for more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is not HER money, it is for the kids!!!!!!! For clothing for them, etc...... SOME of the mom's live WELL above their means because they get so much for CS.

I don't need to walk a mile in any ones shoes...... I have my own and I don't get CS - I have not gotten ONE penny from my son's father from day we separated................ I did fine without it. SOME of these moms are just out to put the screws to the dads.

I SAY SOME because I know that they are not ALL like that.
I don't want to offend those of you who are not, and you know who you are.
Bitter much? :rolleyes:

Zephyr

I had to go back up and make sure she wasn't the op.....she's so irate over this issue that is actually someone else's question :p

brisgirl825

WANNACRY said:
I had to go back up and make sure she wasn't the op.....she's so irate over this issue that is actually someone else's question :p
Yup, I agree with you again!

She's taking her anger out on her husband's ex but the real problem is HER ex. If he would pay cs she and her new hubby wouldn't be down in the dumps.

LdiJ

kmeck said:
Ohio

It really depends on what the money is for. If its for unreimbursed medical/dental expenses or other things that could possibly be outlined in the court orders, then she may be right to do so.

If its for special items, that she is expecting that dad will want to share or share it (such as school pictures, special one time expenses etc.), then it may be fair for her to do so.

If its for any regular, ordinary expenses of raising the child....like lunch money, a new pair of shoes, etc., then child support is supposed to cover that.

brisgirl825 said:
Yup, I agree with you again!

She's taking her anger out on her husband's ex but the real problem is HER ex. If he would pay cs she and her new hubby wouldn't be down in the dumps.
Halleluia, bris!!!!

Way to hijack a post projecting your own junk, ablessin!! :rolleyes:

child support- as explained to me by the office, is REIMBURSEMENT to the CP. The money is the CP's NOT the childs. So if mom wants to buy a new dress, she can. As for all NCP's out there- caring for children is a full time job. If you were offered a full time job that paid only $300 bucks a month (or whatever amount) would you take that job?

kandyflip03 said:
child support- as explained to me by the office, is REIMBURSEMENT to the CP. The money is the CP's NOT the childs. So if mom wants to buy a new dress, she can. As for all NCP's out there- caring for children is a full time job. If you were offered a full time job that paid only $300 bucks a month (or whatever amount) would you take that job?
Thats a wee bit harsh dont u think? Just because 2 parents can and would want to care for their child doesnt mean the court grants it that way. So one cant always help being the NCP now can they? With that said, if you ask any good parent that question in reguards to their own kids, well duh...they'd probably gladly have full custody of their kids (full time job) for NO money a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">