• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what does child support cover?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

azlisa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Does child support cover a cell phone for a minor child?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Does child support cover a cell phone for a minor child?
You have no choice in how child support is spent (assuming you are the one paying the support).

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Nor do you have to pay for one if the other parent claims you do. A cell isn't a necessity - the kid won't die without one.

azlisa

Reason I am asking I am receiving child support for my 16 year old. He has a job and I told him if he wants one he needs to pay for it. His father said that is part of the child support.

Conan77

His father is wrong! The money is distributed to you to use at your discretion, he can not tell you to get the kid a cell phone!:eek:

qurice

Sounds like OP tried to get him to buy his own..

Reason I am asking I am receiving child support for my 16 year old. He has a job and I told him if he wants one he needs to pay for it. His father said that is part of the child support.
You said pay for it on your own and instead he asks Dad? While it was crappy of Dad to say CS should cover it, you and Dad need to get on the same page and give Jr. the same answer. I've seen how the wants and nagging of teenagers pit Mom against Dad, even in intact families!

He must not want it that bad if he's not willing to pay for it on his own.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Well, I have one of the few children left on this planet without a cell phone. :p:D:p:D She can get one when she can pay for it. I wear my crown as Meanest Mommy on this Earth with pride.

And yes, I even had children who didn't get a driver's license at 16 either. And that daddy paying child support didn't even suggest that I was wrong.

tuffbrk

Didn't get my license until I was 18 yo - not only did I have to learn how to drive in a vehicle that my guardians did not own (thank heavens for siblings!), I was not allowed to take Driver's Ed in school, I had to pay my own insurance and had to purchase my own vehicle! I barely had the money left over to fill the tank - and gas was lots cheaper back then!!:)

My 14 yo has a cell - it makes my life easier. ;)

TinkerBelleLuvr

SweetPea is required to call home and/or my cell and tell me where she is in our neighborhood (prior to leaving the house) and call if she changes places. She can't go far since we are far from town. She can go as far as her bike, roller blades or sneakers can take her.

Might change my mind about the phone when she gets older. Adult prerogative. Still figure I'll make her pay for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">