• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what exactly does child support cover?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I am just curious. I want the best for my daughter and I am with her every weekend. She wants to go swimming and I don;t live too far from a YMCA. Does child support cover items such as YMCA, Girl Scouts, and things like soccer? The main reason I ask is that I know my ex uses some of my payments for things not related to my daughter but in MA there is no way to tell how the money gets split.

Thanks

haiku

child support is your HALF of the childs expenses. ANd in Ma. unless otherwise noted, that includes extra-curicular activities In a sense you are reimbursing the mother for money all ready spent. how do you know she is not spending it on your daughter? once the child support is in her hands it co-mingles with the rest of her finances.

but once it leaves your hands it is up to the receiver to decide how it is spent. if she decides to use the whole thing on the rent, or even go to the mall that is her choice.

Maybe if mom does not want to swim, maybe you could join the Y and take your daughter yourself?

I know she is not spending it on her because of things like clothes and such, and if you factor in what she makes and how her lifestyle is, it doesn't add up.

That is what I figured.

I am doing that and will probably do the same for things like soccer and girl scouts as well. We all know these things are expensive and I didn't know if the cost should be split because the ex doesn't see it that way. She sees it as my expense as I am doing these things with her and taking her

JETX

"Does child support cover items such as YMCA, Girl Scouts, and things like soccer? The main reason I ask is that I know my ex uses some of my payments for things not related to my daughter but in MA there is no way to tell how the money gets split."
*** Simple answer. Child support covers whatever the court orders. If the court orders you to pay for swimming, ballet or cheerleading, you pay it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">