• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What exactly does this mean?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

almostsm

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Sorry to anyone who read the itty bitty bit before I actually asked the question.

I know I've asked something about this before, but I'm going to elaborate so I have a little bit of a better understanding.

The Court Order states: "The parties shall pay the reasonable educational expenses for the minor children, which shall not include the expense for college, vocational school, or private school," and, "Extraordinary expenses incurred for the benefit of the minor child(ren) shall be paid by the Petitioner and Respondent as follows: 50% by Petitioner and 50% by Respondent."

Though the first line does not give an exact percentage each parent should pay, therefore the payor (of child support) might just give the payee $10 outside child support towards school expenses and call it a day. However, the next line goes on to say "extraordinary expenses," which could be anything, including school supplies and the sometimes traditional beginning of the year school clothing purchases. What I'm confused about is where does it end? Extraordinary expenses could mean clothes year-round, money spent on food (whether it be for school lunch or just at home food,) or even gas to get the kids some place. What exactly does that line mean? Is the payor supposed to help pay for all these things ("and more")? And if so, what exactly does the child support go toward?

Last edited:

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Sorry to anyone who read the itty bitty bit before I actually asked the question.

I know I've asked something about this before, but I'm going to elaborate so I have a little bit of a better understanding.

The Court Order states: "The parties shall pay the reasonable educational expenses for the minor children, which shall not include the expense for college, vocational school, or private school," and, "Extraordinary expenses incurred for the benefit of the minor child(ren) shall be paid by the Petitioner and Respondent as follows: 50% by Petitioner and 50% by Respondent."

Though the first line does not give an exact percentage each parent should pay, therefore the payor (of child support) might just give the payee $10 outside child support towards school expenses and call it a day. However, the next line goes on to say "extraordinary expenses," which could be anything, including school supplies and the sometimes traditional beginning of the year school clothing purchases. What I'm confused about is where does it end? Extraordinary expenses could mean clothes year-round, money spent on food (whether it be for school lunch or just at home food,) or even gas to get the kids some place. What exactly does that line mean? Is the payor supposed to help pay for all these things ("and more")? And if so, what exactly does the child support go toward?
My guess is that the Court assumes the parents are adults capable of using common sense. Child support is intended to be a share of the costs of providing care for the child and his/her basic needs. Food, clothing, toiletries, housing, etc.

Using common sense, education expenses would be tutors, school fees, uniform expenses for athletics, choir, band, etc.

Extraordinary expenses would be extraordinary expenses....such as braces, dental work (if not otherwise addressed in the order). Or, for example, my child's geometry teacher requires that the students have their own graphing calculator priced at $100 (yes, it is public school). Food and clothing are NOT extraordinary....they are basic needs for any child.

CJane

An easy way to think about how the financial crap should be split up is that unless it's specified, each parent should be responsible for the same % of costs as their % of child support obligation (this is on the form 14).

Extraordinary expenses MUST be agreed on BEFORE the expense is incurred. This, according to my MO attorney.

As far as school supplies, I would recommend (if there is only 1 child involved) the parents agree to swap years and purchase all supplies in their year.

If there are necessary expenses like lab fees, they should be split according to the % above.

If there are 'other' expenses like rental for a band instrument, club dues, field trip fees, booster club memberships, etc - those should be agreed upon and split 50/50. IF they're NOT agreed upon, the parent who wants the child involved should shoulder the financial burden.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">