• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to expect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PennDad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

First time poster..... just wondering what to expect. I'll give you a run down on my situation.

I pay child support for my son who is 2 1/2 yrs old. Our first CS conference was in April of this year. At the time I had a good job. My childs Mother was not working at the time. She was in college. So they went by her wages from her previous job. My son was receiving the medical card at the time. I Pay what I feel is an outrageus amount for child support.

Fast forward to a month ago..... I got layed off. Im generally layed off from mid Oct - Feb/March. I went and filed for a new conference to see if the support to be lowered with Im receiving unemployment. We got a date to appear.

2 weeks ago my ex finished with college and started a half decent job. She works 35-38 hours a week but doesn't receive insurance thru her work. However between child support & her wages from her new job, she makes too much for the medical card. So she started shopping for health insurance for herself & our son. She also is paying a relative of hers to watch our son whie she's working.

My question is..... will I be responsible for any of the health insurance and baby sitting? I was hoping to get the support lowered but I feel like Im going to get screwed. Our appt is in 2 weeks. Any thoughts?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

First time poster..... just wondering what to expect. I'll give you a run down on my situation.

I pay child support for my son who is 2 1/2 yrs old. Our first CS conference was in April of this year. At the time I had a good job. My childs Mother was not working at the time. She was in college. So they went by her wages from her previous job. My son was receiving the medical card at the time. I Pay what I feel is an outrageus amount for child support.

Fast forward to a month ago..... I got layed off. Im generally layed off from mid Oct - Feb/March. I went and filed for a new conference to see if the support to be lowered with Im receiving unemployment. We got a date to appear.

2 weeks ago my ex finished with college and started a half decent job. She works 35-38 hours a week but doesn't receive insurance thru her work. However between child support & her wages from her new job, she makes too much for the medical card. So she started shopping for health insurance for herself & our son. She also is paying a relative of hers to watch our son whie she's working.

My question is..... will I be responsible for any of the health insurance and baby sitting? I was hoping to get the support lowered but I feel like Im going to get screwed. Our appt is in 2 weeks. Any thoughts?
https://www.humanservices.state.pa.us/csws/

single317dad

Was your income annualized at the first hearing? (e.g. was the fact that your income varies for 4-5 months each year taken into account, and your total annual income added up and divided by 12 months or 52 weeks?)

Does your employer or hers offer health insurance at a reasonable cost?

Was she imputed a basic income (perhaps minimum wage at 40 hours a week) at the first hearing? If so, does her new job pay her significantly more than that?

The best thing to do is use the helpful link provided by TheGeekess to calculate the new support amount based on the new values. There's a handy box to enter values for insurance, child care, and other expenses.

CSO286

I'm just a bit curious, OP. What do you feel would be a reasonable amount to pay for child support?

PennDad

Was your income annualized at the first hearing? (e.g. was the fact that your income varies for 4-5 months each year taken into account, and your total annual income added up and divided by 12 months or 52 weeks?)

Does your employer or hers offer health insurance at a reasonable cost?

Was she imputed a basic income (perhaps minimum wage at 40 hours a week) at the first hearing? If so, does her new job pay her significantly more than that?

The best thing to do is use the helpful link provided by TheGeekess to calculate the new support amount based on the new values. There's a handy box to enter values for insurance, child care, and other expenses.

Yes, they had all my unemployment info, they totaled all the income and divided by 52 weeks.

I did have health insurance..... but it must have been more than the reasonable rate because they left my child on the medical card. I don't have health insurance while Im on unemployment. Ex is not offered health at this time at her new job. Shes considered part time. She may have the opportunity to go full time after the first of the year.

Yes, they inputed her at min wage at 40 hours a week at the first conference. She is making $11 an hour at new job..... working 35-37 hours week.

PennDad

I'm just a bit curious, OP. What do you feel would be a reasonable amount to pay for child support?
Im not trying to come across as a deadbeat. I understand children are expensive.... but he's 2 1/2. If he was a teenager, then yes, I could see the higher child support since teens want more expensive clothes, shoes, etc and are in extra curricular activities etc. But a 2 1/2 yr old? I just don't understand it.

mmmagique

Im not trying to come across as a deadbeat. I understand children are expensive.... but he's 2 1/2. If he was a teenager, then yes, I could see the higher child support since teens want more expensive clothes, shoes, etc and are in extra curricular activities etc. But a 2 1/2 yr old? I just don't understand it.
You've either never raised a child before or have conveniently forgotten how much it costs to raise a child. (of any age)

If your income was annualized in the first place, you really have nothing to complain about now.

Btw, as was asked above, how much *are* you paying?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Do you realize how quickly small children grow, and how often clothes/shoes need to be replaced?

CSO286

Insurance.
Out of pocket medical expenses.
Increased housing/utility expenses.
Food.
Increased transportation expenses.
A turnover on wardrobe at least annually.
Childcare.

These are things that the custodial parent has already bought and paid for on a monthly basis. Your court ordered obligation is meant to reimburse Mom for a portion of those expenses.

I asked what you felt would be a reasonable sum for child support...I didn't label you a deadbeat.

single317dad

If you're paying your support, by definition you're not a deadbeat. We all know this, and no one here is accusing you of such.

On to the actual question. With the changes you've related, I don't see much changing either way on your support amount. Between mom's increase in wages, and increased expenses, it should be nearly a wash. The only way to know for sure is to use the calculator, which can answer your question much better than I ever could.

Just Blue

I'm just going to touch on the shoes:

It is very important for a growing child to have GOOD shoes. I might buy clothing for a toddler from a thrift store...but NEVER any shoes. :)

LdiJ

Yes, they had all my unemployment info, they totaled all the income and divided by 52 weeks.
Then they are not going to lower it while you are on unemployment. Your annual period of unemployment was already taken into consideration in the original calculation.

I did have health insurance..... but it must have been more than the reasonable rate because they left my child on the medical card. I don't have health insurance while Im on unemployment. Ex is not offered health at this time at her new job. Shes considered part time. She may have the opportunity to go full time after the first of the year.

Yes, they inputed her at min wage at 40 hours a week at the first conference. She is making $11 an hour at new job..... working 35-37 hours week.
Yes, health insurance and daycare costs are part of the calculations for child support. Odds are your support is going to go up rather than go down. You really should have asked these questions BEFORE you filed for a "new conference".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">