• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens in a contempt Hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wnagel

What is the name of your state? KS

My ex wife owes me a bit over $20,000 in back child support. The court trustee finally summoned her before a Judicial Hearing Officer a few days ago. She made all sorts of excuses, but the Judge said that due to the amount and the complete lack of non-payments, we are moving this to a contempt hearing, and scheduled this contempt hearing 6 weeks away. What happens at this contempt hearing? Can she just give more excuses? Yes, I'm one of those few men that have turned the tables and took custody away from my ex-wife and she is now showing everyone that I was right to do this by being a really crappy parent. Do I need to prepare anything for this contempt hearing? Someone told me that she will need to bring her checkbook or suitcase to the hearing as she will need one or the other? Is this right?

Grace_Adler

Generally, yes. I can't speak for KS but I know from what I've observed in NC and heard in other states, most of the time the judge will either make them pay the lump sum on the spot and if they can't send they will send them to jail until they can purge themselves by paying the full amount. They may also consider a payment plan where she can pay a certain amount and then make additional payments with her monthly payments to pay off the arrears.

Some states will take away licenses in addition, levy accounts, seize tax refunds, and levy property.

There are occassions where they may get a slap on the wrist but I doubt this would be one of them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">