• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens if child moves out of state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NCPhelp

What is the name of your state? New York

I have not posted on here in a very long time. My husband has a son from a previous relationship, (they were never married) so there is no divorce decree.

His son graduated from high school in June of 2005 and did not go on to college, he is working full time, living in his own apartment with his girlfriend. We went to see a lawyer to see if on these grounds we could get support stopped. He turned 19 in August. Our lawyer said we would have a tough case for the apartment he is living in is owned by his grandmother and we might not be able to proove he is actually paying all his own bills, etc. So we decided to leave things alone and "deal with it" for the next 2 years and when he is 21 years old get it stopped once and for all. We just learned that he is going to be moving out of the state and down to North Carolina. Does this change things? I would think it would since he is not living here anymore, and the age of majority in North Carolina is actually younger than it is in New York, or would the mother continue to get payments for a kid, 1) who does not live with her anyways, and 2) doesn't even live in this state??

Just looking for some information.

NCPhelp

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">