• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what happens if child moves out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NCPhelp

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi, I have posted here before but wondered about this.

My husband's son is moving out of state and we wondered what that does to our child support order. We are in New York state and the child is 19 years old. He is moving to North Carolina in a few months. His mother might be moving with him, but that is unclear at this time. If our orginal support order was from New York are we obligated to pay child support until he is 21 years old regardless of where he is residing? Or does the state in which he is in residence prevail. I know the age of majority in North Carolina is 18 and he is past that now. He graduated last June from high school and is not in college.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
As long as either Dad or Mom are living in NY and the kid is not legally emancipated, CS is payable until he's 21.

NotSoNew

however if it turns out the son is moving alone and not with mom that is terms to file for emancipation (as long as he is not in college).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">