• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens if wife loses job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uglytobone

What is the name of your state? TX

Title should be "What happens if EX-wife loses job?".

My ex-wife and I have joint custody of our 15 year old daughter. I am paying child support based upon my income only at a level dictated by the state, which amounts to roughly $1200/mo.

My ex is a compulsive spender. She declared bankruptcy about 1 1/2 years ago and would have lost the house (granted to her by divorce decree) several months after the bankruptcy through foreclosure had I not stepped in and provided temporary financial assistance. She is pretty much a lost cause from a financial perspective.

Recently she was fired from her job of 5 years. She was fortunate to pick up another better paying job immediately, but she now has a daily commute totaling about 3 hrs and the cost of gas pretty much offsets the pay increase. She is unstable, irresponsible, and has problems getting along with people in the workplace. I fear she will not be long for this new job as well.

My questions:
(1) Am I in any danger of increased support if she becomes unemployed for a lengthy period of time?
(2) Is there any kind of contingency planning I can be doing in the meantime that would help me avoid possible complications created by her becoming unemployed?

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">