• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens if you cannot afford to pay court ordered medical bills?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Bankruptcy sounds like a better choice for you. You can consolidate your bills, still keep your house and assets too. I would also see about proving your ex is just abusing the insurance and making you pay for what you don't really need to. Your daughter is old enough to understand what taking an oath to tell the truth means in court. You could talk to a lawyer about having your daughter testify to the fact she wasn't sick all those times but her mother made her go. Might not work. But it might. If she's going to the doctor once a week and your daughter isn't missing school that's a red flag she's not really sick. And what pre existing medical condition does she have? If it's something minute like say a skin condition or bad eye sight or something then that wouldn't warrant so many doctor visits. But if she has a heart condition or diabetes or asthma then it might be hard to prove your case that she wasn't sick all those times.
Bankruptcy will NOT get rid of the cred it cards in ex's name nor the medical bills in ex's name AND he will not be able to bankrupt the court ordered payments. So he is stuck with that.

samsam88

Ok so what if the order says you are to pay the doctors 100% and the custodial parent isn't supposed to pay ANYTHING? Not even copays. And what if you get bills and do not pay them? Who exactly is going to complain that you are in contempt of your order? The CP isn't going to care because they aren't out any money in the first place. So what the doctors will just send your account to collections or maybe try to garnish your wages?

But then I read somewhere not sure if it's this thread but what if someone just sends in a check for like 5 or 10 dollars a month? Can they still garnish your wages if you are sending in money? Even if it's a very small amount?

CJane

Ok so what if the order says you are to pay the doctors 100% and the custodial parent isn't supposed to pay ANYTHING? Not even copays. And what if you get bills and do not pay them?
Then you're a deeadbeat.

Who exactly is going to complain that you are in contempt of your order?
The CP.

The CP isn't going to care because they aren't out any money in the first place. So what the doctors will just send your account to collections or maybe try to garnish your wages?
Eventually, the doctors are going to 1) refuse to see the child and 2) go after the other parent for payment of the bills that the deadbeat doesn't feel like paying.

And then the deadbeat will wind up in court on contempt charges.

But then I read somewhere not sure if it's this thread but what if someone just sends in a check for like 5 or 10 dollars a month? Can they still garnish your wages if you are sending in money? Even if it's a very small amount?
Yup. They can refuse to accept partial payments, they can refuse a payment plan, it's at their discretion.

samsam88

Then you're a deeadbeat.

The CP.

Eventually, the doctors are going to 1) refuse to see the child and 2) go after the other parent for payment of the bills that the deadbeat doesn't feel like paying.

And then the deadbeat will wind up in court on contempt charges.

Yup. They can refuse to accept partial payments, they can refuse a payment plan, it's at their discretion.

Ok so what if the deadbeat parent goes to court and lays out what they make, their bills, and says look obviously this 10-20 dollars a month is really ALL I have left to pay. And on top of that it's pretty hard to find a job that will work around another jobs fulltime schedule. The fact that they are paying something doesn't look better than not paying anything?

And what if the NCP doesn't pay anything until the point that they are threatened to go to court...then pays. Just to make life miserable for their child and the CP? Does this ever happen?

I'm thinking of getting a job. But can the NCP then take me back to court and have the order modified where I have to pay half of the medical bills? The only reason I'm not paying half now is because I don't have a job.

LdiJ

Ok so what if the deadbeat parent goes to court and lays out what they make, their bills, and says look obviously this 10-20 dollars a month is really ALL I have left to pay. And on top of that it's pretty hard to find a job that will work around another jobs fulltime schedule. The fact that they are paying something doesn't look better than not paying anything?
Yes, of course it looks better if they are paying SOMETHING....and no, its not difficult at all to get a part time job that works around a full time job's schedule.

And what if the NCP doesn't pay anything until the point that they are threatened to go to court...then pays. Just to make life miserable for their child and the CP? Does this ever happen?
That happens ALL the time...its very "classic"

I'm thinking of getting a job. But can the NCP then take me back to court and have the order modified where I have to pay half of the medical bills? The only reason I'm not paying half now is because I don't have a job.

You just hijacked this poster's thread to ask questions about your own situation....or you have been playing games with us all along. You have been giving the OP advice to help him....but now you post something that makes it sound like you are the mother of his child.

CourtClerk

You just hijacked this poster's thread to ask questions about your own situation....or you have been playing games with us all along. You have been giving the OP advice to help him....but now you post something that makes it sound like you are the mother of his child.
So you noticed that too huh????

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If its an above board sale, at or close to FMV, and the funds are properly accounted for, what could make it fraud? What am I missing?
Any sale when there is a lot of debt in which the property still remains in the possession of the seller through some means is highly scrutinized. And this would NOT be an arm's length sale necessarily. CORRECTION BASED ON OPs POST: This is NOT AN ARM's LENGTH SALE. It is a form of collusion and conspiracy to safeguard property to protect it from creditors. If it were being sold to an unrelated third party who had no attachments to the original seller then there would not be an issue. But selling it to mom is going to raise red flags left and right. AND THE FACT THAT HE IS COSIGNING ON THE LOAN IS GOING TO NAIL HIM RIGHT THERE. And watch the creditors' lawyers who are used to this stunt be able to overturn the sale and still get liens against it.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That's a really great idea actually. I spoke with my mom about it today and she went to the bank to apply for a loan. We will find out if they approve it in a couple days. I'm the cosigner too so that worked out fine.

On the credit card bills if I just pay 10.00 a month can they legally sue me for not paying what they consider "enough"?
You are the cosigner? Oh that is so nice. There is NO WAY this is an arm's length sale. Liens can still be attached against it and you can be accused of committing fraud. Which if proven -- have you ever seen creditors who can prove that someone is trying to hide assets to defraud them? Nice. And yes the creditors can sue you if you are not paying the minimum monthly payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">