• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what if?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lmsaff

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Hawaii

So what if the non-custodial parent doesn't pay his child support? :mad: Are there laws that prevent him from obtaining a drivers license a things like that? I was told by a friend of mine that if the non-custodial parent does not pay child support for X amount of years then it is like giving up all parental rights. Is that true? :confused: All I know is that he does not pay child support but still insists on taking our child whenever he feels like it. Where can I obtain information about non-custodial parents who don't pay and what can happen?

Shay-Pari'e

lmsaff said:

So what if the non-custodial parent doesn't pay his child support? :mad: Are there laws that prevent him from obtaining a drivers license a things like that? I was told by a friend of mine that if the non-custodial parent does not pay child support for X amount of years then it is like giving up all parental rights. Is that true? :confused: All I know is that he does not pay child support but still insists on taking our child whenever he feels like it. Where can I obtain information about non-custodial parents who don't pay and what can happen?
Depends on the state, depends on the court orders, depends on a Google Search.

Phnx02

lmsaff said:

Your friend is wrong. If a NCP fails to pay child support, he does not forfeight his parental rights. All this gets him is a HUGE accruing debt - with interest - that never goes away. And even if he succeeds in not paying until the child reaches age of emancipation, he is still not forgiven of this debt. He is still legally responsible for this until paid in full (although different steps must be taken to then continue collection efforts).

However, child support and visitation are totally seperate issues. One is not dependant on the other. The law still allows a NCP parent regular visitation rights even if he/she fails to pay CS. Doesn't seem fair, but this is the way it is. If you have a court order stating he gets set visitation, you have to allow it or stand the chance of being held in contempt. What you should do instead, is file for contempt on him for failing to pay CS. Maybe this will give him a kick in the butt to help support the child he wants to see.

lmsaff said:

Child Support and Visitation Rights are two big issues. For example, if your ex did not pay child support, you cannot stop your ex from taking your kid (depends on what court order said). And no parental rights can be give up until your ex sign the paper saying.

In my state, you are correct about licenses. Not only license gets suspensed, your ex will be jailed. And I believed that this will be done if you file for contempt of court against your ex.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">