• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is involved with filing for arrears & motion for contempt...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ssmith33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read my question. I would first just like some general non case-specific information, please. I'd like to know, what is involved legally with filing for contempt and also trying to get arrears? Specifically, I'd just like to know what the general procedure is. Does this first have to go to mediation, and then to trial? Is this a long process?

Thank you in advance.

Silverplum

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read my question. I would first just like some general non case-specific information, please. I'd like to know, what is involved legally with filing for contempt and also trying to get arrears? Specifically, I'd just like to know what the general procedure is. Does this first have to go to mediation, and then to trial? Is this a long process?

Thank you in advance.
You can speak to a family law advocate in your county:
http://www.flcourts.org/resources-and-services/court-improvement/family-law-self-help-information/self-help-centers-near-you.stml

ssmith33

I did, but they are volunteers and I really wanted to get a second opinion, just to verify. So, once I file the motions does it go to mediation (if the judge orders it) and then trial, if mediation was not successful? Thank you.

LdiJ

I did, but they are volunteers and I really wanted to get a second opinion, just to verify. So, once I file the motions does it go to mediation (if the judge orders it) and then trial, if mediation was not successful? Thank you.
Is child support ordered via the state child support agency or is he supposed to pay you directly? The procedures are different depending on how its supposed to be paid.

Silverplum

We're volunteers, also. They work at and for the courts.

Read the Rules of Civil Procedure.

mickapoo

Is child support ordered via the state child support agency or is he supposed to pay you directly? The procedures are different depending on how its supposed to be paid.
Thank you for the response. The support order was through the court system (we both had attorneys at the time). But to enforce the order, a few years ago I let the Dept of Revenue handle the case. So the payments do go through the Dept of Revenue. But to handle these matters (the contempt and arrears), I could get a private attorney but I just wanted to familiarize myself with the general procedure before I do that.

Thank you again for taking the time.

Silverplum

Thank you for the response. The support order was through the court system (we both had attorneys at the time). But to enforce the order, a few years ago I let the Dept of Revenue handle the case. So the payments do go through the Dept of Revenue. But to handle these matters (the contempt and arrears), I could get a private attorney but I just wanted to familiarize myself with the general procedure before I do that.

Thank you again for taking the time.
mickapoo or ssmith33?

Just Blue

Thank you in advance.
You have been posting here for 10 years under a different user name. You should know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">