• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the Legal Latin Term...?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

What is the name of the legal latin term in which the lawyer will counsel the client but not represent them? Not Pro se. For example if a paying client cannot afford the travel expenses of a lawyer to appear in a court hours away, he/she may wish to be "coached" and prepared for initial litigation by the lawyer and there after. This term escapes me.

Silverplum

What is the name of the legal latin term in which the lawyer will counsel the client but not represent them? Not Pro se. For example if a paying client cannot afford the travel expenses of a lawyer to appear in a court hours away, he/she may wish to be "coached" and prepared for initial litigation by the lawyer and there after. This term escapes me.
I dunno, but as I was looking at this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legal_Latin_terms it occurred to me that you could search it yourself. :)

Just Blue

I think the English phrase you want is "EXPENSIVE ADVICE". ;):)

latigo

What is the name of the legal latin [sic] term in which the lawyer will counsel the client but not represent them? Not Pro se. For example if a paying client cannot afford the travel expenses of a lawyer to appear in a court hours away, he/she may wish to be "coached" and prepared for initial litigation by the lawyer and there after. This term escapes me.
I've never heard or seen any such term. Nor understand why it could be of any importance, if it does exist. However, the Latin word, "consilium" means to counsel; "foris" means outside, and "curia" stands for court.

Not be confused with the line judge calling, "foris curia!" in the game of tennis.

Incidentally, mister pedantic, lawyers aren't paid to "coach" and your word "latin"[sic] is spelled with a capital "L"! That too may have escaped you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">