• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is my responsibility to pay for my child's college expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tjkm307

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I live in Indiana. My daughter is 22. She attends college. Her father and I are divorced. I am a stay at home mom and a student. Our divorce was in 1997. The divorce papers state that due to the differences in our income, he earns at least 3 times more than I do when I am working, I am not responsible to pay any child support. I have helped through he years with costs when requested. Now my ex is telling me I have to come up with $7500 for college or he will put a lien on my home. He is also threatening to sue me for back support. Is this possible? He has chosen to co-sign for loans and pay for college expenses. I have always paid my own way and I expect my children to do the same. She cannot get grants or loans because her dad makes too much money. He had money set aside, but lost it in the stock market. My daughter will not keep a job and quit the Navy right before she went to boot camp. She always runs home to dad to live and he keeps letting her get away with it. I do not agree with all of this. I think she needs to be more responsible.

We live pretty well. We are not rich, but we are comfortable. My husband is self employed and is successful. However, he was raised to be responsibe and hard working. He never got hand outs and he will not give one to my daughter. Especially when she behaves the way she does. I cannot say I disagree. We have 2 children together and we will not give hand outs to our children when they will not be responsible and try to work and pay some of their own expenses.

What are my legal obligations. Can he put a lien on my house or sue me for back support, when I have a court order saying I do not have to pay any?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CSO286

At this point, dad can pound sand.... she's an adult; she needs to sink or swim on her own. And unless ordered to pay by a court, no parent is legally responsible for college expenses.

Proserpina

Agreed.

Dad is blowing smoke.

He's not going to get retro support, and you're not going to be ordered to pay for college.

justalayman

I have to say this just isn't true:

. She cannot get grants or loans because her dad makes too much money.
there are thousands of grants that have nothing to do with financial need. They are merit based or in some cases, based solely on an application and qualifying. As to loans: there are loans available to her or her father. It may not be the loans they want but there are loans available.

Proserpina

I have to say this just isn't true:

there are thousands of grants that have nothing to do with financial need. They are merit based or in some cases, based solely on an application and qualifying. As to loans: there are loans available to her or her father. It may not be the loans they want but there are loans available.

Absolutely! She just has to put in the effort of researching and searching for the grants. Heck, there are even clearinghouses online that will do the hard work for her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">